ReefCleaners.org

Impuse buy, should I carry on?

Kyclops

Alright, so alot has changed for me (if you look through my noobish posts, please don't) I upgraded my 20H to a 55 FOWLR, and have wanted to go reef, but I'm just afraid to tinker too much with my pride and joy, persay.

So, tonight on impulse, I saw that we had one Biocube 14 laying around on clearance for like $119 plus discount...so I scooped it up. I really do have plans to set this up for a nice reef tank, but I'm afraid maybe it's just too small? I pretty much bought it for the price (sounded like a good deal), and what comes included.

Now, I know this IS nanoreef, but I noticed there's more people here with the 29. Would the 14 be a total waste of time, or should I just give it a go, since I've already saved a bundle on a new setup. (I know I'll probably have to upgrade lighting)

I know this just comes down to being indecisive, just looking for some opinions. Keep or pass?

a 14 is a cavernous unnecessarily large structure. perspective matters, theres the opposite side of the coin I really wouldn't own a reef that large too much work.

really though, packed with corals, a fish or two, inverts, metal halide spaced up, it could be the reef of legends with huge water changes and some dosing.

If you avoid your impulsive tendencies and really take it slow and figure out what you want it to look like, then it can be really amazing. It's about a long term game plan and what you make of it. Continue to have fun with it and you'll be golden. If you can't afford more time to invest into it, then you can always sell it before starting.

I'm actually over my hesitant self now, and rediculously excited now. I broke the seal on the box, opened it up, and it's sitting on my desk, so there's no going back now!

My main question - how in the world do you fit a skimmer (not the one made for them, I hear it's terrible) in the back of this guy. I stuck my heater back there, and that was quite a squeeze. Going for my first reef tank I REALLY want to make sure my water is perfect, and I'd feel so much safer with a skimmer on there.

Is there any way to do this without putting it IN the tank?

There are very few skimmers that will fit in the back of that tank. The best alternative is to use a hang on back skimmer, like the ones from Reef Octopuss, Warner Marine, Eshoppes, etc... That will put the pump in the back chambers, and it will flow back in at the other end. It will also allow you to keep a fuge or a media basket in chamber 2.

If you avoid your impulsive tendencies and really take it slow and figure out what you want it to look like, then it can be really amazing. It's about a long term game plan and what you make of it. Continue to have fun with it and you'll be golden. If you can't afford more time to invest into it, then you can always sell it before starting.

+1^

Be very selective in what you put in and dont forget to leave room for them to grow. Try to avoid anything with long sweepers if you can. I love my BC14......but I do have the itch to get a 20L.

There are very few skimmers that will fit in the back of that tank. The best alternative is to use a hang on back skimmer, like the ones from Reef Octopuss, Warner Marine, Eshoppes, etc... That will put the pump in the back chambers, and it will flow back in at the other end. It will also allow you to keep a fuge or a media basket in chamber 2.

Will these fit under the stock lights? I was planning on keeping them for a little while until I find something better to go with.

Archived