Innovative Marine Aquariums

Photosynthetic Gorgonians

Chyendra

Do photosynthetic gorgonians do well in aquariums?

I understand they need high flow, but what kinda of lighting would best suit them? A lot of the sites i've been reading say medium to high lighting. Would a high wattage of PC's be suffiacent? or would metal halide be necesisary to keep their colors??

I'm talking about corals like these

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/marinedepotliv...ve/1143674.html

http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/scrapb...book3&UID=10445

thank you

well... This topic is still open for discusion if anybody has experpience with this coral.

I see alot of people have Non-photosynthetic gorgonians, but I can't find alot on the photosynthetic ones.

Perhaphs I will e-mail the companies selling these corals and see what they recomend.

they can do well but my experience is limited to exotic browns and tans with a tinge of beige here and there. X)

so as to whether or not they'll keep their colors i can't quite say. i think some of it has more to do with diet (e.g. carentoids) but intense lighting could definitely be a factor. i use vho nowadays so my exp. could be a result of that. hth

OK, I e-mailed Dr. Mac and Son's (the second link)

Here's my e-mail

Dr. Mac & Sons,

What type of lighting would you recommend for the Purple Bushy Gorgonian, and the other Photosynthetic Gorgonians? High watt PC's? or should Metal halide be used to keep the colors? Do these type of corals require any type of regular feeding? If so, what do you recommend and how often? Would you recommend this coral to a beginner, if they had the correct equipment and understanding of the necessary care?

Thank you so much for your time, and I am looking forward to your response.

Here is their reply:

Hi,

The gorgonians will do well with moderate to intense light and like lots of water flow. They do not need supplemental feeding. I would consider them a good coral for a beginner as long as your tank is well cycled and all water parameters are in normal ranges.

Thanks, Mac

this was helpful to me, and i hope that others will find it useful as well.

Archived