ReefCleaners.org

Will's 75G

will25u

I got this mighty beast from a guy living a mile away from me who is a contractor heading to Afghanistan. I spent $350 bucks and got the tank, stand, lights and digital timer, digital temperature gauge, three heaters (only have one in and it's holding the temp great) 10G sump, ASM Skimmer, a bucket of reef salt, an API RO Filter (and replacement cartridge), API test kit, numerous foods and supplements, buckets, filter sponge, the largest baster looking thing I've ever seen, 2-3 nets, among other stuff.

Just got some cured, live rock yesterday and will be going to get 40 pounds of sand later today. Will add another 30 pounds of sand and 20 pounds of live rock from my Nano Cube when I transfer everything over.

DSC_0076-1.jpg

DSC_0097-1.jpg

Now, I'm trying to find a good 48" lighting set up as opposed to buying a hundred bucks worth of UVL PC-R's. If I can't find anything soon, I'll be putting in an order for those PC-R's.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything has been transferred over to the 75 gallon for a little while now. All seems happy.

My three Green Chromis bullied themselves down to one which I knew would happen, so I wasted money and should have bought just one.

My Brown Barred Sleeper Goby is very happy. He's constantly sifting sand which is great because I've got bit of diatoms for him to eat up.

I've got a monster Bristle Worm measuring at least 5"-6" that comes out as soon as the lights go off at 9. I've got lots of baby Bristle Worms as well. Because of those worms, I decided to look into the Wrasse family. I was seriously contemplating a Six Line, but the wife wanted something a bit different. So we picked up a gorgeous Halichoeres Nebulosus Wrasse (AKA Cloud Wrasse). He's a very interesting green color. This is a pretty awesome Wrasse. He's constantly scanning the rock work and sometimes I see him flaring up at himself in the glass. Quite entertaining. Him and the Goby seem to be getting along fine.

Over the weekend, we drove up to Denver to check out the LFS' up there. We made it to two stores before we brought home a little colony (8 heads) of Duncan coral and a beautiful blue Midas Blenny.

I need to post a FTS, but I can't find the charger to my camera. Oops! I've got the rocks worked up into a two island deal so I can have a good size sand bed available and keep most of the tank open. Im not fond of the crowded rock wall look.

To sum it up:

Live rock - about 60-70 pounds

Sand - 50-60 pounds giving about a 1.5"-2" bed.

Fish:

One Green Chromis

One Brown Barred Sleeper Goby

One Halichoeres Nebulosus Wrasse (Cloud Wrasse)

One Blue Midas Blenny

CUC:

Two Nassarius Snails

Two Turbo Snails

Three Astraea Conehead Snails

Three Cerith Snails

Three small Hermit Crabs

I should probably add a little more of a CUC.

Corals:

Original hitch-hiker Zoas that I started with.

Original hitch-hiker pink mushroom that came on the rock with the Zoas.

Hammer Coral

Green Star Polyps

Duncan Coral

The lighting - I found from Craigslist. I spent $160 on a Coralife 300w (150w x 2) metal halide with CF actinics and four LED mood lights. I mounted the fixture up inside my wood canopy and it seems to be doing well. Not getting too hot, but my canopy's lid opens and is also slotted so that helps.

I should invest in some more power heads to get the flow better, but that will come when I find a deal.

Now, I want to sell my 28G Nano Cube with live rock and live sand and the 48" CF light fixture that came with the 75 and I'll be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Update as of March 7, 2011 -

Fish:

Green Chromis

Brown Barred Sleeper Goby

Picture Wrasse (AKA Clouded Wrasse)

Midas Blenny

CUC:

4 Turbo Snails

12 Hermits

3 Cerith Snails

2 Nassarius Snails

3 Astraea Snails

Corals;

Lots of the original hitch hiking Zoanthids - brown with orange mouths

Random Zoas

Duncan

Blastos

War Coral

Acan Lord

Prism Favia

Huge Open Brain

Green Star Polyps

Candy Canes

Hammer

I like to start off with small corals to see them grow. Below are some random pictures from tonight after the MH's went off.

Dragon Goby AKA Brown Barred Sleeper Goby

DSC_0156.jpg

Midas Blenny

DSC_0151.jpg

Clouded Wrasse

DSC_0143.jpg

Duncan

DSC_0082-2.jpg

Prism Favia looking a bit dull. We just added last night.

DSC_0080.jpg

Acan Lord

DSC_0079.jpg

Blastos

DSC_0078-2.jpg

Not Rastas. Gotta do some research and find out what they truly are.

DSC_0075-1.jpg

Brain

DSC_0178-1.jpg

Congratulations on the new tank! I was checking back to see how your nano cube was doing and found out you've already taken the plunge into a larger tank! Very cool! I am really liking your Brown Barred Sleeper Goby and your Rastas.

Thanks! :D The wife and I really like the unknown Zoa's. I only have four or five polyps but they were only a few bucks. I want to get some more Zoa's, but I can't find any other than the typical brown ones like I already have. I plan to go to Reef Stock this weekend in Denver so I'll see what I can find there. I'm just not willing to pay per polyp prices for anything in my tank so I may not bring anything home. I'm expecting everything to be priced super high so I won't be disappointed.

I'm still getting used to this 75. I like it a lot, but I like the ease and simplicity of the Nano Cube, too.

The Brown Barred Goby is a neat little fella. He chased the halichoeres nebulosus wrasse around for a few hours once they were introduced a few weeks ago, but they're all getting along perfectly now. The Wrasse is constantly scanning the rocks looking for creatures to eat. The Goby is content sifting sand.

I still need to get two powerheads. I'm not sure which I want between the Koralia's 3, 4, or 5 regular or Evolution models, or if I even want Koralia's at all.

I take horrible FTS's. Any recommendations? It would really help if my mother in law wouldn't have tossed out the quick mount plate to my $200.00 tripod. :angry:

• 2 months later...
Thanks! :D The wife and I really like the unknown Zoa's. I only have four or five polyps but they were only a few bucks. I want to get some more Zoa's, but I can't find any other than the typical brown ones like I already have. I plan to go to Reef Stock this weekend in Denver so I'll see what I can find there. I'm just not willing to pay per polyp prices for anything in my tank so I may not bring anything home. I'm expecting everything to be priced super high so I won't be disappointed.

I'm still getting used to this 75. I like it a lot, but I like the ease and simplicity of the Nano Cube, too.

The Brown Barred Goby is a neat little fella. He chased the halichoeres nebulosus wrasse around for a few hours once they were introduced a few weeks ago, but they're all getting along perfectly now. The Wrasse is constantly scanning the rocks looking for creatures to eat. The Goby is content sifting sand.

I still need to get two powerheads. I'm not sure which I want between the Koralia's 3, 4, or 5 regular or Evolution models, or if I even want Koralia's at all.

I take horrible FTS's. Any recommendations? It would really help if my mother in law wouldn't have tossed out the quick mount plate to my $200.00 tripod. :angry:

My LFS is not the best place to get coral due to the cheapest colonies being priced at $15. I would be very happy if they sold the coral by polyp, mostly because I prefer to buy corals when they are very small and watch them grow out and take over.

Sorry to hear about your quick mount plate, though I imagine that it has an ironic story behind it ;). As for taking a FTS, do what you think looks the best. I've gotten in the habbit of setting my camra on the "twilight portrait" mode in order to drown out the bright 12000k white light and make the tank look bluer in the pics.

BTW, I'd love to see an updated pic of your tank and how your corals are growing! :D

Denver co? If so what stores? I work at one in the area. Looking good. I used to gave a 75 gal and wish I didn't sell it.

Archived