Cultivated Reef

Are Ricordeas too tough for beginners?

theclearblue

I'm currently a little less than three weeks into cycling my 10 gallon nano, and I plan to start putting in a few corals in at the five to six week mark. I'd like to start researching the care of corals I plan to keep, and based on my initial impressions I'd like to be able to keep some ricordea for two reasons:

1) The colors are really appealing (I'm not all that enchanted by zoos I can find locally).

2) I can order really nice rics from Palmetto Reefs with ground shipping and save tons of cash.

I'm planning to either use the CSL 2x40w or a 70w 20k metal halide setup. (Let me know what you think would be better for ricordea - I'm ordering lighting this week!)

I know most people recommend starting with mushrooms and zoos as beginner corals. As a beginner, are ricordea out of my league? I know that I may need to feed them silversides, but I'd like to know what everyone thinks.

They aren't as hardy as normal mushrooms, but they are still fine for beginner corals. You don't even have to feed them, but it will help promote growth and splitting. I spot feed mine mysis shrimp a few times a month. Also I think general consensus is ric's like more light than normal shrooms. Hope that helps.

Should be fine at that level. They need slightly more light that other mushrooms, but you don't have to be drastic.

And do feed them a bit of mysis once in a while. Happiness is a full stomach. :D

Thanks! I've got some other mushrooms as well as some button polyps that all seem to be doing great. I passed up some sweet little ricordea frags the other day....I didn't know enough about them. I'm going to have to go back now and see if it's still there!

rics are great! If they are attached to some rubble just throw it on the substrate. If you have some base rock throw em on it. After a month or so, or if they are already large, give them some mysis once in a while, they love it.

Archived