Cultivated Reef

How should I attach these GSP's?

trmiv

I just got a nice sized mat of GSP's, about 4 inches long, by 2 inches wide. They are actually attached to a small rock, but not big enough for me to do anything with. I found a perfect place in my tank for them, but they are basically wedged between two rocks, so I don't think they have anywhere to spread/attach.

Attached is a pic of the tank before the GSP's. The area circled in red is where they are wedged. They are set in that little crevice there, with the ends of the mat just kinda up in the water. I could also move them to the area circled in yellow, which is a nice flat area. But that is a big rock that can't be removed, so I'd need to attach them somehow. Area C (circled in blue) is a nice rock on the bottom of the tank. I could somehow attach them to that rock also.

So, any opinions? which area is best for them (basically top, middle and bottom of tank), and should I attach them somehow. If so, how? I have aquastik, superglue, and rubberbands.

you can basically put them wherever and they'll attach themselves to the surface. after that, they'll start spreading. I know some people like to put the GSP on the backwall and let it grow all over it. I've seen one before and it looks really nice. Good luck.

I've heard they will attach anywhere. I don' think they will where I have them though, because the ends of the mat are basically just up in the water. Only the middle part of the mat and the rock they are on are wedged between that crevice.

I could also put them on the right side next to that zoo colony I have over there, about three inches away from it.

I'm just curious if wedged between two rocks like they are now is a good idea. Basically the small base rock they are on is wedged, so the mat is really not on my rock. I'll take a picture tonight so you guys have an idea what I'm talking about.

Also, dosing iodine huh? Currently I'm not dosing. I do weekly 2 gallon water changes using Bio-Sea Marine Mix salt, and I also use Sealab #28 blocks (I guess you could count that as dosing). Not sure if I should step up to dosing iodine. I guess I should get an iodine test kit first before I start. What's a good iodine level?

Take super glue gel and glue them where you want. If i were, I'd glue them on a rock which does not connect to the main rocks. They grow really quick, and sting other corals as well.

Archived