Pod Your Reef

70W or 150W over 10 Gallon?

DSparks

OK, here's the dilema . . .

Since I've gotten back into reef-keeping everything I've read has said that wattage is not important. Pay attention to color temp. Based on that I've decided to go with a 10K Ushio MH and supplement actinic. I'm feel good about that decision. The thing I can't get a comfort level with is which wattage to go with. If wattage really doesn't matter then why wouldn't I want to go with a 70W (cheaper, less power, cooler)? The dilema is that I hear people saying go with the 150W because more power is better. So what's the deal? Does wattage really matter, just not as much as color temp? So am I right in thinking that wattage is like the volume or amount of light, where as color temp would be the type of light (i.e. a 1 foot pipe carrying clean water is better than a 2 foot pipe carrying dirty water)?

Excuse my lack of electrical knowledge please. Also excuse my lack of ability in making good comparisons :)

Reefer_Buddha

depends on how deep the tank is i would say. But 70w should be ok and 150 cant hurt but i wouldnt go over 150w on a tank that small

I would do the 10000k 150 DE MH, w/ one or 2 36 watt actinics pcs.

If you want to be cheap, do a SE 250 watt 20,000k halide. SE (single ended) aren't as intense a the DE (double ended). But are a lot cheaper to DIY.

You could also diy a 175 watt SE.

from 175 watts to 400 watts SE, it costs almost the same to DIY.

OK, sounds like the 150W is the best route then.

1) Anyone have any suggestions on Ballast/Bulb combinations? I know that I want to go with an electronic ballast.

2) Is HelloLights going to be my best bet as far as pricing goes?

Archived