Coral Vue Hydros

Quick fuge question.

pyrocreep

Do you have to have a bubble trap on a fuge? Would it cause an issue to have the plumbing going into the fuge tank if the plumbing is underwater, probably with some form of filter on the end of it, like a filter sock or the like.

Please note this is not a sump/fuge. It is a stand alone fuge tank that will then be drained into a seperate sump.

Since the flow through a fuge is suppose to be very low (200 or 300 gph max IMO) there should be no reason you would need a bubble trap. The reason sumps require them is higher flow causes air bubbles from the water crashing into the sump as well people put there skimmer in the sump and as a extra measure of protection preventing micro bubbles from the skimmer into the main display the bubble trap will help to stop them.

If you want to prefilter the water going into the fuge that is your preference. Myself I do not.

I have a 10 gal refugium hooked up to my 135 and I use a MJ600 to pump the water into the fuge and then a 1/2 overflow which is gravity flow. In other words the fuge is above the display. The water is pumped up into the fuge then exits via gravity into the main display.

Now for my 20 long and since I did not want a fuge setting over this tank (I had no way to hide it). I put my fuge at one end of my sump. But it is not in the main sump flow. I use a 150 gph PH to feed the fuge and the fuge over flows back into the sump. You can see this in my 20 long build. This is not the ideal way to do it but IMO is the best alternative and better then putting it in with the sump flow.

A fuge that sets over the tank and is using gravity to return to the main display is the best. Since there is no restriction for the beneficial creatures that grow in and escape the fuge to the main display.

If you are going to do it this way you need to make sure of one major point. That your over flow is as high up in the fuge as possiable. That way if the pump fails to the fuge all of the water in the fuge does not drain back into your main display. If the display is not able to hold this extra volume then it will end up over filling your main display and end up on your floor. :o

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. I had a feeling that I wouldn't need to, but I haven't really payed attention to most setups that have a sump and a fuge vs a fuge/sump. You've answered the question perfectly for me.

I have an 18 gallon tank with a 20 gallon HIGH refugium. I had my overflow drain water directly into the refugium and it caused LOTS of bubbles and i had lots of salt creep. i added a filter sock a few days ago and now i have no bubbles. I also have a bubble trap in the refugium because i was scared bubbles were going to get into my return pump but that isnt needed at all.

Bubbles.. They can cause some issues btu that depends on the setup. If the bubbles build up around cheato it can cause it some growth issues. The worst one is if the bubble are always around the heater it can cause it to misread the temp and stay on, or worse crack the glass.

But if you keep all that away then the only issue will be the salt creep and noise from the bubbles.

Glad I could help.

Filter socks on the intake as well as the exit are good trick to help with bubbles. But keep in mind on the exit you are wanting to allow pods and other creature to exscape the fuge and find there way to the main display. If you have a filter sock on the exit side of the fuge then you will trap those creatures, preventing them from getting to the tank.

The setup that I have is a little bit different, but I will probably put some type of grate over the overflows on the main tank and in the fuge. I don't really want to stop pods from getting out, but I do want to keep snails and what not from clogging up my overflows. Also I had thought about putting a filter sock over the input to the fuge, but I don't know if it will be needed as the input should actually be positioned underwater.

The setup that I have is a little bit different, but I will probably put some type of grate over the overflows on the main tank and in the fuge. I don't really want to stop pods from getting out, but I do want to keep snails and what not from clogging up my overflows. Also I had thought about putting a filter sock over the input to the fuge, but I don't know if it will be needed as the input should actually be positioned underwater.

Good point! You definitely want to put some kind of grate over the exit. I had mine open and one day my serpent star decided to take trip down the exit tube. Needless to say it liked hiding in the tube. Good thing I was home working on my tanks when it happened, because water started overflowing my fuge top, I was like WTF, unplugged the feed pump before I had a big mess. If I wasn't home my MJ600 would have been pumping 160 gph. I would have ended up with quit a bit of water on my floor. Good thing my tanks are in the basement and I have a sump pump next to the tank.

Archived