Top Shelf Aquatics

ballasts at HD

gobies

I was looking at ballasts at Home Depot the other day, and couldn't make sense out of most of the abbreviations. T8 and T15 I know, but some of the boxes' descriptions are written in code. Anyone know of a "handy decoder guide" for NO and CF ballasts? Half the time I couldn't even tell if I was looking at an NO or a CF ballast!

home depot stuff is kinda crappy number one all the lighting stiff they sell is for home stuff not reef stuff and all the stuff thats equivlent to metalhaild is not the right temp nor color juat my 2 cents but happy hunting if you want some cool cheap diy stuff for reef aqueriea go to hellolights.com

I'm not looking for metal halide stuff. Just the CF ballasts. The things are so bloody heavy that I'd like to avoid paying shipping charges if I can.

Also -- what's the difference between a ballast made for aquarium use and a ballast not specifically made for aquarium use?

I don't plan on housing the ballast in the hood; that would make the hood too heavy.

I don't even look at the CF ballast at homedepot. I think there were only a handlful but most of the electronic fluorescent ballast will run CF. Just make sure that it is within a few watts of the intended lamp.

Also, most of the HD ballast are made by advance and they do weigh a ton. I have had good results with workhorse ballasts. They can run VHO/PC/NO all within a certain max wattage. It's very light also. But if you want it prewired, I guess hellolights is a pretty good deal.

Check out the specs of the workhorse at www.fulham.com

It cost me $21 for a workhorse 5 and $33 for workhorse 7. I am actually running VHO's with the WH7.

Nishant3789

jw, but if i baught a workhors 3 rated at 65 watts, io could power a 36 watt powercompact bulb? if so, how would i connect the bulb to the ballast? and if i need a socket, where would i get one? thanks

nishant

I just picked up a MagneTek ballast at HD for sixty cents. I looked at the bulb code and was clueless, but for under a buck, I figured what the hey....

Turns out it's for a circular 22w bulb. But hey, you can get those in 5000K and 6500K varieties. I figure I'll mount it over a refugium at some point.

These things regularly retail for $25.

I am amused.

Archived