Cultivated Reef

Lighting a 33g Long

jam05pr

Hi, I am trying to gather some info on what my best option is for LED lighting on a 33g long tank. The dimensions are 48x12x12 so it is shallow. I was thinking a diy led setup or going with some par30/38 bulbs but other options may work. Dont have any SPS just LPS and some softies. Just seeing what people would recommend. Thanks.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Hi, I am trying to gather some info on what my best option is for LED lighting on a 33g long tank. The dimensions are 48x12x12 so it is shallow. I was thinking a diy led setup or going with some par30/38 bulbs but other options may work. Dont have any SPS just LPS and some softies. Just seeing what people would recommend. Thanks.

For just softies and LPS I would probably do something like 36-42 LED for a DIY fixture.

40% CREE XP-G and 60% CREE XP-E should give you a nice look. you can always go back and add some NW or Blues if you feel you are missing something.

A good spread on a 48x12in tank is probably going to be 3 rows of 12-14.

gulfsurfer101

I would use some par 30's. They provide complete coverage for a 12" x12" space so about four should be perfect over a tank with those dimension. Using 60* optics or higher will provide better spread over a shallow tank as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to build my own but feel like the par bulbs might be easier, more affordable and look a little better(fixture wise). What brand par bulbs would work best, there are so many different choices

Yeah I was looking at those but from what I saw they only have 40 degree optics. I kind of wanted 60 degrees

Order the optics they sell for cheap. Its very very easy to change them. I did it on all 5 of my par38s and never had any experince with LEDs. Search for it. Theres plenty of pics step by step to so u how to change the optics. I started with 60 degress and decided to run the 40s because i could mount the track light a lil higher and get better PAR all the way on the bottom of my tank

Archived