Coral Vue Hydros

Would a large (500ml) dosage of Mg make a skimmer work improperly for a bit

matt frizz

Hi, I had to dose 500ml today (carefully calculated) of Mg to get my levels from 1100 to 1360ppm in my 50 Breeder today. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question already but want to make sure just to ensure that my skimmer isn't broken.

Would such a large dosage of trace elements cause the skimmer to run improperly until all the Mg is totally absorbed into the water column? I'm guessing tomorrow it will work just fine but I'm still worried about my most expensive piece of equipment.

Yes, it will make your skimmer run all funky for a couple of hours.

Also, it is not good to raise your magnesium levels that quickly. You are suppose to do it over the course of a week so as not to stress your livestock, especially the inverts like shrimp and hermits they will die because of such a high increase in magnesium in a short amount of time.

Yes, it will make your skimmer run all funky for a couple of hours.

Also, it is not good to raise your magnesium levels that quickly. You are suppose to do it over the course of a week so as not to stress your livestock, especially the inverts like shrimp and hermits they will die because of such a high increase in magnesium in a short amount of time.

hmm, I didn't think Mg effected them that much. Everything looks fine so far and my harlequins are out and about looking for starfish so I'm not too worried.

I don't think you should ever raise or lower anything too quickly in a reef. BUT, I've raised my Mg that fast and not really had any problems. Also, my skimmer didn't act any different.

Archived