Coral Ident.

JayMC

Prolly an easy one but this is my first frag so not exactly sure...also it looks like it has polyp of a different kind on the right...whats that?

post-52821-1297050274_thumb.jpg

It's hard to tell. It looks like a variation of Green Bay Packer zoas to me, but I could be wrong. The single polyp on the right is some sort of palythoa. They are extremely fast growers and will take over your tank, so I personally would break that piece of the rock off. It will overgrow the other zoas on the frag.

its a zoanthid frag. The other polyp looks like some sort of paly, both relatively easy corals to keep. Good beginners coral. :)

cool, thanx for the quick replies. i went ahead and broke off that piece...not sure if i dmged the paly or not...i moved it to another part of the tank...if it grows, cool...if not, not too big of a loss

cool, thanx for the quick replies. i went ahead and broke off that piece...not sure if i dmged the paly or not...i moved it to another part of the tank...if it grows, cool...if not, not too big of a loss

It will definitely grow back. If you want a little colony of those, you can get a small rock and put the single paly on it. Put the rock on the sand so it won't spread to the main rock structure. Within a few months the rock will be covered. I started with one, and in two or three months I had nearly 100.

Archived