Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ribbon Eel 8 month anniversary!

Matt'sMax

I was just excited to share that I have kept my Blue Ribbon Eel alive and happy for nearly 8 months, eating a silverside every other night since! I'm currently trying to get an article i wrote documenting my success, theories and ideas behind it, and husbandry of these eels published! Hopefully it will become available to everyone soon!

Look he's smiling!

DSCN1832.jpg?t=1297048852

I had my ribbon eel for almost 4 years, and I was very upset when he finally died. I fed him silversides and he always ate. Never went on any hunger strikes like people say, always ate willingly and never had any problems. I even had him in a reef tank and he never bothered anything. Good luck with yours I know I really enjoyed having mine!

Gr8_Outdoorsman

That's awesome.... When I saw a post of yours on another thread, I had to go look up what kind of eel that was in your signature.... A really cool looking guy!

where did you get your eel at? im lookin into eather a black or blue ribbon for my 67g i can get straight from the wholesaler but im afraid of not knowing if it eats or not. what was your experience with yours?

I'll definitely say it's not something you can just want or think about (not to sound harsh at all). It takes a lot of in depth planning (A LOT), I had to almost reconstruct my tank in prep, You need to know your stuff (husbandry, at least what there is of it available), You need to have a vast array of foods available at first (which is quite expensive believe it or not), and you have to really want it. He is very time consuming, I rarely see him (with the exception of rare days when he'll be out a lot), and it is difficult to get him on foods at first (and frustrating as well). If any of those your not completely one hundred percent sure of, DON'T DO IT. Theres plenty of other pretty easier to care for eels and fish out there. If you dont want a ribbon anymore but still want an eel, try a zebra moray (reef safe and gorgeous!) If your still bent on getting a ribbon eel and are 100 percent dedicated, then hopefully if my article gets published you can read my full experience! BE WARNED THOUGH: even if you were to decide to do all this, I may have just gotten lucky. Nearly 99 percent die in captivity and just because I am extremely lucky and blessed, doesn't mean you will be. You may still have to unfortunately watch a gorgeous, unique animal perish in captivity.

I'll definitely say it's not something you can just want or think about (not to sound harsh at all). It takes a lot of in depth planning (A LOT), I had to almost reconstruct my tank in prep, You need to know your stuff (husbandry, at least what there is of it available), You need to have a vast array of foods available at first (which is quite expensive believe it or not), and you have to really want it. He is very time consuming, I rarely see him (with the exception of rare days when he'll be out a lot), and it is difficult to get him on foods at first (and frustrating as well). If any of those your not completely one hundred percent sure of, DON'T DO IT. Theres plenty of other pretty easier to care for eels and fish out there. If you dont want a ribbon anymore but still want an eel, try a zebra moray (reef safe and gorgeous!) If your still bent on getting a ribbon eel and are 100 percent dedicated, then hopefully if my article gets published you can read my full experience! BE WARNED THOUGH: even if you were to decide to do all this, I may have just gotten lucky. Nearly 99 percent die in captivity and just because I am extremely lucky and blessed, doesn't mean you will be. You may still have to unfortunately watch a gorgeous, unique animal perish in captivity.

yes i haven't set up my tank yet so i'm in no hurry. i completely understand they are not the easiest to keep and require pvc caves to feel secure. they sound a lot like mandarins on there finickiness of eating. i am just curious if any corals are dangerous to them vise versa and he doesn't ever try to pick on the other fish?

Congrats! I saw my lfs got one of these guys in cheap and I was soo tempted to get it but I did the responsible thing and didn't because I was leaving for college. I followed your write up and I do hope to try this fish out in the future.

If your tank isn't set up yet, I would suggest you let it run for about a year before you start looking in to buying one!

but doesnt mean its not a good idea to plan ahead! :P

Archived