Top Shelf Aquatics

odyssea 250 watt mh

rivers

I am looking to upgrade my pc light on my 29 gallon and came across this new version of odyssea 250 watt hqi fc2 /15000k with 4 led and would like to know what people might think of this light.

lnglostsurfer

I don't know much about their metal halides but I had a 48" T5 fixture over my 55 gallon for about a year. Was very happy with the quality considering how much I paid for it. Never had any problems with it and saw great coral growth. Seemed like it was built pretty solid. My only complaint was that the mounting legs were a little flimsy but as long as you don't take it off and put it back on a million times they were quite adequate. I've thought about the MH one many times but I'm trying to keep a lower energy cost bulb. Let us know what you think if you get it!

I have it on my 40. I like it, though my ballast did stop working but Aquatraders said they'd replace it. It'll cost me $15 shipping but that's fine by me considering I was 15 days past the warranty period. The light does raise tank temps a bit though, so make sure you keep an eye on that.

I also had the 17" pendant and the newer light is DEFINITELY much improved. They did away with the flimsy legs and now it's just a little slide bar, still not very expensive but it works well.

I haven't personally tried it cause id rather pay more and he safe but one negative I've heard more than once is that they're bulky and have huge ugly mounting legs so if aesthetics are important to you it'd probably be best to stay away

very good points to consider before I decide on whether I want this light or not,certainly dont want it to start a fire . Did not know odyssea had t5's ,will look into that also.I have the 30 in 130 watt odyssea pc running for 2 yrs on one of my tanks and runs great believe it or not.

lnglostsurfer

Yeah, I'm not sure if the company is called oddysea anymore or not but the website it aquatraders.com. I bought a 48" T5 light, a 20" power compact light, and just today a 20" 4 bulb T5 fixture. The only problem I've had with any of them was half of the bulb burning out on my power compact light after a few months of use. I guess the fire risk was with the older models that were 2+ years ago. Haven't heard anything about fires since then and have had great luck with mine. The light itself gets hot to the touch but not hot enough to where I couldn't hold my hand on it. Again, don't know for sure with the MH fixtures but I've had great experience with the oddysea lights.

The problems with Odyssea fixtures have always revolved around their ballasts and bulbs. The bulbs suck. I don't think anyone will argue that much. The ballasts have historically been under powered for their MH lights, which creates problems with aftermarket bulbs, and getting the most output and color from them. The fixtures are generally built well, but the ballasts are the big let down.

my experience with them mirrors evils. once i had to replace the halide ballasts and t5 ballasts for proper performing ballasts i spend just as much as i would have one a better light with a real warranty from the get go.

i have heard the newer black 2.2a ballasts will provide the proper wattage but even than some bulbs simply wont fire.

If they are anything like the ballast that are on the new T5 fixtures, they are as cheap as they come. I bought one of the new 20" fixtures (to see how the UVL bulbs work in it) and it showed up at lunch. The ballasts are basically glorified mag ballasts, just smaller. These aren't intelligent, PFC corrected ballasts at all. I haven't fired one up yet, but they are scarry cheap. I'm sure the MH ballasts aren't much different.

Archived