Top Shelf Aquatics

yes, another lighting question

xstealthrtx

I know this is my first post but i've been reading this forum for quite awhile now. I have a eclipse 6 tank with 2 - 13watt 50/50 bulbs retro kit. I have about 8 lbs. of live rock in there and it just got finished cycling about 2 weeks ago.

I would like to put some softcorals in there eventually (i know it depends what kind, but i'm just talking in general) and sometimes when i look at the tank it just doesn't seem bright enough. maybe it's just me. i was thinking about building a simple hood and adding a 10,000k and a actinic in there with the 2 50/50's for a combined 52 watts.

my question: is this worth it? will that be too much light? or should this be something that i should think about doing to make the tank look better?

i know that 28/32 watt square pin PC's fit on an eclipse 6. if i were you, i'd build a custom hood and have 2 or 3 of those bulbs. just get the CSL supernova or smartlite retro kits or check out hellolights' nano ballast kit(s) and raw PC ballasts w/ endcaps and bulb clips

HTH

aqua_aaron

hellolights.com

championlighting.com

You should decide what you are going to keep before you decide what type of lighting to get. If you only plan on keeping softies, the lights you have will be fine. If you put a halide on that tank you will fry said softies. People are way too quick to suggest halide lighting.

Archived