Top Shelf Aquatics

Feather Duster Dead or Alive??

MrNano

Hello

I think my Feather Duster is dead! it went the whole day without coming out is that normal?? How can I tell if it is dead or alive also should I remove it now or wait till tomorrow and see

Tony

IMO you should wait awhile. They can be shy and some will hide whenever there is a change in the lighting ( a shadow falls over them). Plus... when stressed they sometimes will shed their crown and it takes awhile to grow back.

It may have shed its crown. They do this in response to stress and less than ideal water quality. I would leave it alona dna in a few weeks he will have grown another crown of feathers. Its usually not the same as before. I had one that was brown, grow back pink, but it had shorter feathers. Good luck.

AReeferIsExpensive

Mr nano.......i currently had the same prob. After a week of no-show and putting food almost IN the tube and stil no luck, i grabbed the thing and held it up to the light (couldnt see anything in it) then i gently pinched it and couldnt feel a THING. After moving some rocks around a bit i actually found the dead worm in a crevice. I dont know if it bailed or was pulled out by a hermit or something after it died. Ive heard of them leaving their tubes tho. If it doesnt show up, It could have bailed or been eaten by a shrimp/crab or something. ??? just a guess

Archived