SaltCritters.com

nano without filter

7seas

I saw a nano today about 10 gallons without a a filter of any sort. It had a small skimmer, about 2 inches of live sand and a large piece of live rock. There were some small crabs in it but that was it.

There was a small heater and the lighting. Nothing more than that. Does anyone run their setup like this? Is this stable? The owner told me he just changes a small amount of water every week and it runs fine.

I'm wondering if a slightly larger setup..15 gallons with an ocellaris would run just like that one. Maybe with 3 to 4 inches of live sand to assist in nitrate conversion and a slightly larger skimmer like the Aqua Medic midi flotor or the 500 flotor. What do you guys think?

I saw a nano today about 10 gallons without a a filter of any sort. It had a small skimmer, about 2 inches of live sand and a large piece of live rock. There were some small crabs in it but that was it.

There was a small heater and the lighting. Nothing more than that. Does anyone run their setup like this? Is this stable? The owner told me he just changes a small amount of water every week and it runs fine.

I'm wondering if a slightly larger setup..15 gallons with an ocellaris would run just like that one. Maybe with 3 to 4 inches of live sand to assist in nitrate conversion and a slightly larger skimmer like the Aqua Medic midi flotor or the 500 flotor. What do you guys think?

I run a 10g aga, 10 lbs lr, 15 lbs ls without a skimmer or filter.. I change a gallon every week.. Have an mp10, lights and a heater that's all.. I ran a skimmer for about 2 or 3 weeks but that's about it.. Good feeding habits keep me good (have an occ clown, clown goby and ywg)

I. ran a 60gal with just live rock, sand and barely used my skimmer. Once the live rock and sand's establiashed, all you need is water change. I suggest every 2 weeks.

Now I'm inspired! Kidninja that is one hell of a beautiful tank you got there. Im surprised you keep it stable without a skimmer and filter.

Sogreedy, you got any pics on your tank too? Sounds like its a pretty nice setup.

Now I'm inspired! Kidninja that is one hell of a beautiful tank you got there. Im surprised you keep it stable without a skimmer and filter.

Sogreedy, you got any pics on your tank too? Sounds like its a pretty nice setup.

14ccfom.jpg

thtats about a month/month and a half ago..scape was redone (moved it into my dorm) and removed the skimmer. i added xenia and a kenya tree and just moved some coral around. i'll probably start a new thread on it soon since i kind of let my last thread die out (focused on my 5.5 and my 7.5)

filterless and skimmerless isn't difficult, you just have to be mindful of how much you're feeding and keep it under control. i've got a ball of chaeto in my back corner to help out with nutrients (yes in my display lol)

I run a bc14 without a filter of any kind except for mechanical (floss) for large material. Do run a skimmer 24/7. Have ~~10 lbs live sand, 15 lbs LR. Run Chemo Pure Elite and Phos remover and Carbon 24/7 as well. Livestock seems to be doing fine. WC consists of 2-3 gal weekly, mainly to replenish calcium and alk.

You can run a Nano without a filter. If you have adequate LR and LS, low to medium bio-load, don't overfeed and do regular WCs.

Thank you guys for all your replies. I always thought that even if you didnt have a filter, a skimmer was necessary. But Sogreedy's and Kidninja's setup look really nice and I like a system that runs on basic equipment (less cables and tubes, looks neater lol).

I guess after next week, when I have the time I'll get down into setting up a nano with maybe a basic skimmer and live rock and sand, see how that'll go. Thanks for the tips!

Maybe im missing something here.... but i always thought the best way to run SW tanks was without a filter? :huh:

That LR with LS either in the tank or a sump with a skimmer usually is the ideal setup?

I'm setting up a 13.3g tank and at first I was only going with LS/LR and good circulation. I still want something to hold some chemical filtration though so I'm going to use a small Current Subcurrent internal filter to hold some Purigen and Chemi-Pure Elite. I figure with that, some good feeding habits and occasional WCs, I should be good.

Archived