Cultivated Reef

Thinking about getting a small viper eel and need some info.

EnderG60

Ok there is this 6" long viper eel at the LFS I work at and its been there for about 2 months now and I really want to get him. Even if only for a little while...i can always bring him back to work

First thing is how fast do they grow, what type of foods would I have to feed him(he is about 1/4" in diamiter if that) , would he nip at or eat any of my corals. would he try and eat or bite at a cherub angle(1.5" at the moment), or an inverts?

thanks

check this site out about vipers:

http://www.lighthouse123.com/id114.htm

The viper shoudn't mess with the coral, but definately will nip at your fish if not kill a small one outright. Do you keep it with fish at your pet shop? They get about two feet all together. Your 10 may be big enough for now but it should have a kickass filter otherwise the eel may get uncomfortable since they produce more waste. I think it would be cool to have a the little guy though. They love all the hiding spaces live rock can supply but most eels I've seen don't come out of hiding much other than poking out thier head. There's a cool green moray at the LFS nearby and it is always out but it is 2.5' and a bunch bolder. I have a blood parrot and had to watch out with it since it is the same story waste wise luckily they are wicked hardy.

well my nano has 10 lbs of live sand(will get more soon) 20 lbs of live rock and 10x more bio balls then the recommended ammount needed for a 11g tank(plus i took em out of my 55 gallon which has been up for 5 years now).

the only fish in there now is the cherub angle and my amonia and nitrates didnt even flinch over all 0's when I added him.

I saw that site when I did a search on google and there really isnt much good info there.

When we first got him in he was in there with a few damsels and is now in there with a 2" bicolor blenny, and a buttload of camel and pepermint shrimp and snails.

he seems pretty passive and is almost always under a rock, and when i move the rock trying to catch something he hauls butt under another one.

My main conserns are if he will bother my angle and how long I can keep him untill he gets too big.

Archived