SaltCritters.com

Nanocustoms LED heatsink question

fishnlou

Hi everyone, I recently realized that the nanocustoms heatsink has pre drilled spots for 2 80mm fans on top of it. Is it necessary to run these extra fans on top of the heatsink? I have a BC29 and built custom shrouding allowing me to fit 80mm fans in place of the stock fans. Moves quite a bit of air now and both fans are rated at 32cfm. My led setup should use around 110 watts with everything cranked to the max, but i plan on dimming quite a bit. Will it be necessary to still install 2 extra 80mm fans on top of the heatsink? Thanks

The 80mm fan spots can let you run cooler with less noise, but with the heatsink going into a BC29, you would need to modify the hood to really take advantage of them. The stock 60mm fans will be enough to keep most LED setups cool.

The 80mm fan spots can let you run cooler with less noise, but with the heatsink going into a BC29, you would need to modify the hood to really take advantage of them. The stock 60mm fans will be enough to keep most LED setups cool.

I actually just found 2 extra 80x80x25 evercool fans i had laying around. I was thinking of spacing the heatsink down an extra 1/4 of an inch to make room for them. Would you recommend doing this? Is there any other modifications to the hood that you would suggest? Thanks

It can't hurt using them. The heatsink should stay a little cooler as a result, but it's not really required. If you really want that heatsink ice cold, open up the hood directly above the fans to get more cool air in. It's really not necessary though.

It can't hurt using them. The heatsink should stay a little cooler as a result, but it's not really required. If you really want that heatsink ice cold, open up the hood directly above the fans to get more cool air in. It's really not necessary though.

Ok thanks, first ill try it with out opening the hood up in the center. If tank temps rise a little to much in the summer ill pull it apart and vent the heatsink fans out the center of the hood.

Archived