Top Shelf Aquatics

Question on mushrooms before I buy

397honda

How do I get the muchrooms in the tank? This probably sounds funny. Are they not suppost to get any air? I think I read that corals have to go from water to water. I don't want to make a mistake when I decide to purchase.???

matt the fiddler

they are fine being out for a little. [2 mins] or kept wet with a reef water drenched paper towel over them for longer periods dont' let them dry up though...

sponges are the thing you will probably have as a beginner on LR that you have to be most carefull about exposing to air.

IMO the best way to acclimate corals is to set up a drip via airline from the tank to the bag containing the coral. About 1 drop per second and let the drip run for at least an hour. Then empty some of the water from the bag and float it in the tank for about 15 minutes to acclimate the temp.

you dont need gloves unless you are unrealistically sensitive....i doubt many people are sensitive enough to need gloves....corals can be out of the water for minutes even hours as long as they stay moist. you cant really kill mushrooms....its very hard. i had some burried under my sand for about a week and the rock seemed bare, however i unburried them and a couple weeks later it was coverd with small shrooms.

FreeDoMangoR34

Do you have to acclimate corals? I havent been doing that for the last 2 years. I only acclimate fish and clams and shrimps etc...but not corals.

Will this harm the corals?

Regards

Mango

ninhsavestheday

acclimate coral is a must, it should be taken more seriously than fish. honda, i would just acclimate it.. espeically if it was an online order.

this is what i do:

drip tank water into whatever is holding the coral in for about 1 hour.(1-2 drips /s)

then put it inside the tank to adjust temp. then place it in the tank.

leave the tank lights off for a few hours.

and i wouldnt worry about coral being in contact with air. poeple sometimes ship corals with a wet paper towel to ease off on the high overnight shipping price.

Archived