Pod Your Reef

Mods for my 50 gal tank?

d0lph1n

I'm planning to build a 50gal 40gal reef aquarium that heavily relies on live rock & in tank macro algae filtration. I could add a skimmer, if necessary, later.

This is the tank (please ignore the driftwood).

IGbaobuvPQzD.jpg

My first mod would be to remove the top rim.The MH would be hanged from the ceiling. What else should I do to it?

Thank you.

P.S.: The tank size is: 22 depth/height x 23.5 radius (1/4 of a cylinder) , so according to my calculations, it has 40 gallons not 50 gallons.

My first mod would be to remove the top rim.

I'm pretty sure with a tank that height it will fail if you remove the top rim. And seeing as its a rounded front Euro-bracing isn't really an option.

I'm pretty sure with a tank that height it will fail if you remove the top rim. And seeing as its a rounded front Euro-bracing isn't really an option.

Ahh. I've emoved the rim already. Shoot...

Nqo03Am03hds.jpg

If you can't reinstall the top rim you shuoldn't fill it but halfway with water. But it would make a great saltwater viarium with an island in the back with mangroves a small island beach that crabs could crawl on and a shallow reef up front.

If you can't reinstall the top rim you shuoldn't fill it but halfway with water. But it would make a great saltwater viarium with an island in the back with mangroves a small island beach that crabs could crawl on and a shallow reef up front.

It took me 1 day to remove the rim & the black silicone. The silicone remover paste didn't have any effect on this silicone. I had to use a very sharp blade many many many times. It seems very strong. I believe the tank will hold. I can't give up now ;).

The highest pressure should be on the bottom of the vertical glass.

I did the same job on my 1 year old 20gal tank freshwater tank, but it's height is half the size of the 50 gal tank.

Will see.

I wouldn't want to be standing in front of that when that front piece of glass blows out :o The vivarium sounds like a great idea, and it would be pretty unique. Hmm...new project??? <_<

I wouldn't want to be standing in front of that when that front piece of glass blows out :o The vivarium sounds like a great idea, and it would be pretty unique. Hmm...new project??? <_<

Can't give up now. :) I understand the risks.

I've been reading posts about people removing rims from bigger tanks without any issues. Some mentioned 72 gal up to 125 gal. The silicone used these days is much stronger.

On my 20gal, it's a white/clear silicone but the glass is thinner. The glass is bending when I clean the glass. On the 50gal tank, it doesn't move or bend at all.

There will be alot of preasure on the front of that tank. The rule is not to remove the rim if it has a brace. Good luck I hope it works.

Thanks, I need it.

However, I have to quote Carlin on this one:

"I don’t like to think of laws as rules you have to follow, but more as suggestions."

I'll make it my signature :)

I loled

Since you like cheap diy rimless tanks, fyi I paid 50 bucks for mine including the stand from Goodwill. It wasn't leaking before I removed the rim :), anyway, the point is..if it breakes...it will be a big mess..but I f-ing hate rims & hoods, so I'm willing to take the risk.

If you are done lolling, I would appreciate if you could give me an advice or two from your infinite wisdom about setting up this new tank. Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good.

The tank has been up for the past 8 days. No leaks so far. I've been looking/testing for MH bulb.

So far, I like the 20k better.

Archived