Coral Vue Hydros

Crazy True Perula

nysguard

We have a pair of true percula cllownfish in a 14 gallon biocube all parameters are good. Tank fully cycled for about 3 months now. Tank mates are 2 spotted cardinal fish, a long tentacle anemone, a turbine snail and 2 smaller snails. Everything has been truely smooth sailing. 2 weeks ago we bought a peppermint shrimp. As soon as we introduced the pep into the water the female perc attacked and killed him. About a week ago the percs began hosting the nem which is amazing to watch. Weds I bought a firefish and the female has now also killed that poor little guy. Getting to be an aweful expensive meal selection for her. Is this abnormal behavior or does anyone have any ideas? Also we have a 29g biocube cycling now to move into a bigger tank and a 55 in the works. Thank you in advance.

Don

Sounds like she's gotten used to the tank and gotten territorial. It can happen in a small tank like that. Only way to fix it would be to get them in a larger tank or to pull her out for a bit and introduce her after the other fish have gotten established.

faerl,

Thanks for the quick reply. Thats what I was also thinking. Another couple weeks they will be able to move into there new home.

Sounds like she's gotten used to the tank and gotten territorial. It can happen in a small tank like that. Only way to fix it would be to get them in a larger tank or to pull her out for a bit and introduce her after the other fish have gotten established.

+1 I agree they seem to have claimed the tank as their own.

I had the same problem. I had them in a smaller tank and the two clowns were the only fish in it. I needed a peppermint for aptasia control and within a couple of days, I found the shrimp's body dead right next to their sleeping place.

OClownsandNanos

They are also now being hosted by the nem. Makes them super aggressive, from what I've read (I've got ocellaris clowns, but they aren't being hosted currently). As long as the hosting is happening, you'll likely see that type of behavior from them. A bigger tank would probably help though and you'll want to move that nem into a bigger tank anyway.

Agreed with OC that it's good you're getting a bigger tank.

Don't expect the aggression to stop - if you research clowns at all, you'll see this is very common behavior. However, they usually stick to the nem, so it should be less of an issue in a bigger tank.

Archived