SaltCritters.com

Good enough water for tank?

wisoot

Hello there

I have been looking for RO water in supermarkets or a while now and the only one available around here is Dasani. It looks like some minerals have been added after the RO process and i wonder if this is good enough. >> http://www.dasanigb.co.uk

Can somebody enlighten me please? I have got the salt mix and looking forward to setting up my first nano tank this week. My LFS said i can use the tap water (i am in scotland) but after reading all the postings here i think i'd better play safe by using RO water but i cannot find it!! : (

Thanks

wisoot

TheCurriculum

it would seem if all else fails you may be able to use it... I would get a few test kits and test the water for trace elements (copper etc..). Try searching over at reef central and see if their are any locals to your area over thier who may be able to help on locating a water supply for you.

The web site states it uses a RO process but how much do they actually do I have no clue. I know nothing on this subject. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'm somewhat the same situation and I can't figure out if this water sold in the supermarkets is suitable.

It's called glacierwater and they even have a website. It says its RO water, but I know everyone here says it should be RO/DI water. Does anyone know if this is DI water as well? If you click on the link, it goes exactly to their website.

http://www.glacierwater.com/quality.htm#mu...ration%20system

Well, just want to hear your thoughts, thanks!

Sidel,

In some grocery stores they have water that you can get from a machine by filling up with one of there containers. I believe it is true RO water I'd have to read about it on the machine again but from what I remember they take many steps to purify it.

MGX

Well, according to their website, it does indeed go through many steps including Reverse osmosis, but it doesn't mention anything about DI. Actually, it is a vending type machine that dispenses the water at my local safeway store. It's just so much more convenient than having to drive to Blue Sierra to get RO/DI water for $.50. Saltwater city sells premix saltwater for $1.00 per gallon. A bit expensive IMO, but then again, I'm cheap...hehe!

So how's your reefing going along?:)

Thanks!

yeah it is a little pricey but I am going to start out with Saltwater cities RO/DI and then use the safeway machine to do my topoff.

You can check out my log of progress on the link in my sig. Now just waiting on shipments to come in. zzz

If youlive near a Wal*Mart, and who doesnt these days, they sell Reverse Osmosis water. It is in gallon milk jug type containers, usually has a green lable that says drinking water on it.

Says it is R/O 5 lines up from the bar code.

HTH

Milhouse

Hi there

I don't have a walmart to go to here because i live in scotland. I believe Dasani here and in the US is not the same either. I got a bottle of Dasani today and the label says

(mg/litre)

Calcium 60

Magnesium 20

Sodium 10

Bicarbonate 30

Chloride 100

Sulphate 95

and PH 6.7

Will this be okay? Actually my LFS told me the water in my area is good enough for marine tanks but having read stuff in here i think i'd better play safe. The problem is there is no RO water in supermarket here. Most people drink from the tap here and it taste great - so fresh. Dasani is the first RO water in the market here as far as i know. Any comments on the ingredients please?

thanks

wisoot

wisoot - You do NOT want chloride or sulphate in your nano. A pH of 6.7 is low and may require buffers even after adding salt mix. Plus, the pH is too low to use for top-off water.

You didn't have a location listed, I didnt realise you were in scotland.

For the person who said walmart is 20 miles away, I would just buy enough to hold me over for a while. 20 Miles isnt that far, if it is out of the way somewhere you dont get to often though at .58 a gallon, buy 20 gallons at a time, that should hold a nano tank off for top offs and changes for a bit, and is less then $12.

Hi there

I have managed to find lfs that sell RO after some phone calls through the numbers listed in the yellow pages. But i have a new problem re live sand here.

Please help.

Thanks

wisoot

All you guys in Seattle and Redmond. Go to Fred Meyer. They have the RO/DI water you need. And it is cheaper than Safeway. :)

Don't go to Saltwater City...major ripoff IME. If you need a good RO unit Blue Sierra I believe has one at really good prices. You can also buy water from them cheaper than you can at walmart.

I think the closest walmart is in Lynnwood, but walmarts here aren't like walmarts on the east coast so I don't shop at them.

Wow, thanks Nano. I rarely shop at Fred Meyer, but I'll check it out. I thought the local safeway water (called glacier water) was pretty cheap (.39 per gallon).

Blue Sierra is descent, but I live in Des Moines and that's just way too far for me to buy water from.

You know there is a walmart in Renton. That is a bit closer :) I have a friend who lives in auburn, and I think there is a walmart there too.

Fred meyer is everywhere tho so check them out too. I get mine at the fred meyer in redmond.

Archived