Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Adam's Awesome Flu-val Edge

hotshot619

Personally, I got this tank for the modern look otherwise I would of got a larger tank like a Bio cube 14 or something else where its a lot easier to work on the tank, since saltwater is a PITA anyway sometimes. I have seen people also abandon the stock but I just really wanted to keep it. I'm sure that is plenty of light for softies zoos and LPS coral, possibly SPS, but idk about lights that well. The way I'm lighting is only going to cost me like 50-60$ total and will be able to grow what I want and keep the stock look. I haven't thought anything about additives mostly because I have seen people dose a lot, but with frequent water changes, 1 gallon per week, seems to make adding chemicals useless that could have serious negative effects. I feel like people who dose either have more exotic livestock, like clams, or they just want instant growth of coral and run the risk of nuking their tank because they are impatient. This hobby is all about waiting. That's why even though my cycle was like a week long, if that, I waiting a month to let it mature before stocking it.

Now...I ordered my lights and they should be here Friday so hopefully after studying for midterms I will have time to set them all up and be good to go by Sunday. Monday I went to a new LFS that was amazing and decided that it was the day to get my clowns, so I picked up a Ocellaris B&W and Normal. I also got some mysis shrimp, spectrum pellets, and a coralife digital thermometer, which after checking with my analog is extremely exact! They have been swimming together for a day now and haven't separated at all, no shaking, fighting. IDK if they have paired yet but they sure seem chummy ^.^

Levels Great

IMAG0287.jpg

Big Guy came up to pay his little ones a visit.

IMAG0289.jpg

Look how big he is!!!

IMAG0290.jpg

Clowns!!! They look so cool.

IMAG0291.jpg

Love them!

IMAG0292.jpg

They like this corner.

IMAG0293.jpg

The set up in my bedroom

IMAG0294.jpg

Front tank shot!

IMAG0296.jpg

Jasper is the Orange, Jynx is the Black and White

IMAG0297.jpg

Got some fancy shots with the negative filter on my phone :-)

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today right as I was getting in my car I got a reply from a craigslist poster saying he was breaking down his 40 gallon and was selling his coral and his tank was on campus. I managed to walk right over to his lab and took a look at what he had. I decided to buy some since they were so cheap and all looked very healthy. He broke off a branch with 4 heads of frogspawn, then got some xenias, Zoa colony with mix of clovers too, a two headed neon candy cane, then for free he threw in a blue ricordea, GSP, some SPS coral. All for 45$. I acclimated them and then went to class but when I got back I noticed there was one or two bristle worms in the GPS and after a few attempts to get them out I just decided to do a freshwater dip. What fell off and died was a chiton, one collonista snail,3 baby Pods and one adult pod, 4 bristle worms. None off these were bad for my tank and probably would of been better to keep them but I just feel safer knowing that I didn't introduce some crazy invasive bug in my tank even if I had to loose the few pods, plus I HATE BRISTLE WORMS, beneficial or not. 2 chitons made it thought the dip though so that's good.

Levels: 0,0,0,8.0

11dKH

540ppm Calcium

0ppm Phosphate

Pictures:

FTS

IMAG0303.jpg

Jasper

IMAG0304.jpg

Bristle worm 1

IMAG0307.jpg

All the other critters!!!

IMAG0308.jpg

Current FTS

IMAG0309.jpg

Pulsing Xenias and zoa colony and clovers.

IMAG0310.jpg

Frogspawn

IMAG0311.jpg

SPS, no idea what. He said it was porciopolo....That's not a coral....

Edit: I believe this is a Pink Tip Pocillipora

IMAG0312.jpg

Neon Candy cane and GPS still closed

IMAG0313.jpg

Blue ricordea

IMAG0314.jpg

So today right as I was getting in my car I got a reply from a craigslist poster saying he was breaking down his 40 gallon and was selling his coral and his tank was on campus. I managed to walk right over to his lab and took a look at what he had. I decided to buy some since they were so cheap and all looked very healthy.

Frogspawn

IMAG0311.jpg

SPS, no idea what. He said it was porciopolo....That's not a coral....

IMAG0312.jpg

Neon Candy cane and GPS still closed

IMAG0313.jpg

Blue ricordea

IMAG0314.jpg

wut

Um, I don't know what that wut is supposed to mean...?

lol sorry im in awe of the awesome deal you came by. congrats!

There was even more good deals that he had but I figured that was plenty for the moment :-P Maybe I'll go back on Monday. I re-scaped....again...turns out at least 2 more bristle worms made it though the dip, but I'm to busy to care now. I also unfortunately had to bring Alfred back to the LFS :-( he eat some of the zoa and all the clovers and then made about 4 attempts at catching my clowns, literally jumping off the rock and snapping his claws at them. SO after grabbing the rock and catching him I brought him back and picked up two more Trochus snails as I really like them and think they do a great job. I wish I didn't have to return Alfred but hopefully he will find a new home. I had a quick scare that Jasper had Ich but whatever I saw went away after a water change and some Shrimp dinner. Looking into a continuous siphon overflow for a fuge or a AC70. My lights apparently will not make it till tomorrow then I will hopefully be set up soon. Pics next chance I get

Also SPS coral is either a pocillopora or gorgonia coral

I saw a Fluval Edge at PETCO as a Freshwater planted setup and thought it would be cool if it was a reef and saw this topic in the forum to see and it turned out this was such a good thread I have decided to subscribe to it :happy:

Sorry about your Emerald Crab, I heard they can be aggressive. But I like your clowns, the contrast is excellent

Keep up the good work :-)

• 1 month later...

So I have been very very preoccupation and have not been able to post but I back on track. To start off, Ich got to Jasper and even after a Freshwater dip and QT tank he did not make it. :( very sad. I have tons of photos to post but I just don't really have the time right now, since well its 4:30 am and I would like to sleep and get to class tomorrow but I will do my best to get them up. Till then I'll just say I got my lights and they work wonderfully. I'm super happy with them and Ill post all the info up soon.

So I decided I'll sleep when I'm dead, I forgot to mention that the Pulsing Zenia finally moved to the big rock. My Scarlet reef hermit died some how, I left for spring break for 4 days, but before I left I fed my tank, did a water change and had everything set. I came home all my levels were great, 0,0,0, 7.9 but my crab was well in a rock in pieces out of his shell. So the way I figure he molted and didnt make it to one of the other shells I put in there for him before my Nass snails ate him, I guess. But since then I have not lost anyone. I am trying to do my very best to give these creatures a happy and safe life, and since I'm doing okay but I feel like I can do better. Anyway I gave up on catching the bristle worms, they will be fine. I think that that's all updates now for a sea wall of pictures

Alfred all bagged up to go back to the LFS

IMAG0315.jpg

Zoa's & Neon Candy Cane

IMAG0316.jpg

SPS

IMAG0318.jpg

Clowns, Jasper's Ich

IMAG0319.jpg

More of my clowns

IMAG0320.jpg

This is what happens when you slip modifying your lights, So PSA for take it slow or you will regret it.

IMAG0321.jpg

Again, it hurt alot but totally worth it for my lights.

IMAG0322.jpg

Jasper looking sick :(

IMAG0323.jpg

Looking really sick

IMAG0324.jpg

Again

IMAG0325.jpg

Resting near the powerhead

IMAG0326.jpg

Poor little guy, it really killed me to see him like this.

IMAG0327.jpg

After Freshwater dip & this is my makeshift QT tank.

IMAG0328.jpg

Side of the QT tank.

IMAG0329.jpg

He didn't make it. I was REALLY REALLY upset, but I vowed I would do my very best to make sure I don't loose any other fish.

IMAG0330.jpg

FTS

IMAG0331.jpg

Jasper

IMAG0332.jpg

Coral & Jasper

IMAG0363.jpg

Clovers that my crab ate grew back!!

IMAG0364.jpg

SPS

IMAG0365.jpg

Frogspawn

IMAG0366.jpg

GSP open and growing

IMAG0367.jpg

Jasper hosting the Candy Cane

IMAG0368.jpg

Baby Snails

IMAG0369.jpg

Snail diggin

IMAG0372.jpg

Baby Snails love the back glass

IMAG0373.jpg

The pulsing Zenia is moving off the big rock, and it also squished at night :P

IMAG0374.jpg

Front Tank Shot Currently

IMAG0375.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got 2 new corals over the weekend and plan on breaking up one rock and mounting all my zoas on it to make a colony...That's it :-P

IMAG0406.jpg

hotshot619
Hey man just wanted to say that your journal really helped get me started. Thumbs up keep it going!

That's the reason I made this tread, to give back to the community and hopefully help other starting out. I'm really happy to hear I did, good luck with your own tank and if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Or this forum is a huge wealth of knowledge. :)

• 1 month later...
hotshot619

I have been pretty crazy busy and unable to post anything.

Also summer school starting and our 90 gallon having the WORST case of ich and loss of some fish has kept me pretty busy. Not to mention my lights are currently just sitting on the glass since I had some problems. Oh and I left for one day, left the A/C off and thought my tank would be ok....90° later all the coral were PISSED! So after I dropped the temp and did a large water change things will hopefully recoup. I will post some pics later but all in all......this hobby can keep you on your toes.

hotshot619

I got a torch coral at the LFS

th_IMAG0413.jpg

Also, a zoa colony

th_IMAG0414.jpg

My Nass. is HUGE.

th_IMAG0415.jpg

Forest of corals

th_IMAG0416.jpg

Nass. is so big.

th_IMAG0419.jpg

Again, and if you see one of my blue leg hermits eat and took the shell of another snail.

th_IMAG0420.jpg

Blurry FTS

th_IMAG0424.jpg

Top down

th_IMAG0425.jpg

I got a replacement for Jasper, I was concerned that he could not pair with Jynx but they did happily

th_IMAG0461.jpg

These are just old photos since I have not had time to post, kinda been slacking on the water changes maybe once every 2 weeks but I'm focused again. I'll take some photos after the nuke went off....but hopefully it will all grow back.

Thanks for stopping by.

• 3 weeks later...

So these are some pictures from last week when I got my father to bring up my mother's nice 35mm camera. As you can see with some of the coral, they are not happy. After my tank hit 90 because I left the ac off and went away for the weekend I came home to this mayhem. The frogspawn heads are all shrunk, and some have died.

Fish

th_IMG_1318.jpg

GSP not happy but getting better

th_IMG_1317.jpg

Torch seems to be ok, but still worried I have to much flow for it.

th_IMG_1316.jpg

The detail is nut on this camera. I could count the scales on Jynx.

th_IMG_1315.jpg

I fragged this yesterday....I lost 3 heads, but 3 made it. I learned alot, like dont get super glue on your corals cause they will ball up and then your screwed...But I now feel much more secure in trying it again.

th_IMG_1314.jpg

Top down artsy fartsy shot...Wavy

th_IMG_1313.jpg

Torch

th_IMG_1312.jpg

Feather and hermit who later today moved into that shell.

th_IMG_1311.jpg

Jasper

th_IMG_1310.jpg

Taking a shot on the good side.

th_IMG_1309.jpg

Fish

th_IMG_1308.jpg

They kept facing apart from each other, lovers fight i guess.

th_IMG_1307.jpg

Close up

th_IMG_1306.jpg

Close up

th_IMG_1305.jpg

Frogspawn have shrank so much :-(

th_IMG_1304.jpg

I also have a green hair algae, and red slime outbreak the past month

th_IMG_1303.jpg

Another

th_IMG_1302.jpg

Candy cane starting to feel better.

th_IMG_1301.jpg

Zoas

th_IMG_1300.jpg

Another

th_IMG_1299.jpg

Henry I replayed in the fluval edge thread, but I run poli fil and a sponge. As for the future, I am looking to get a aqua-clear50, running chemi-pure elite, and actually been tossing around an idea of working a skimmer into a filter system some how. Oh and my lighting system broke kinda so I have a make sift one up till i figure out what I wanna do. Also I stepped on a bulb..... :-P Been kinda a rough month.

Awesome pictures! I can't wait to start my cycle. I love the Edge despite what people say about it.

The only negatives I have heard about it are technical issues, filtration, lighting, size, just things to work around, as for looks I think they are pretty cool and easy without tearing apart your wallet. I have seen some other AMAZING tanks out there, but for the price I like this one the most.

Check this tank out

http://www.konolua.com/RSS/Volcano_Tank/Volcano_Tank.html

NUTS!! :-P

Id only warn you, when you think you are ready to cycle your tank...take an extra 3 days or so to make sure you have everything, it will pay off in the end. I jumped in without EVERYthing and i kinda wish I would of saved up a little more money so I could just buy the quality gear I would of needed as apposed to quick fixes as they were needed. good luck! :happy:B) Oh and start a thread so we can all watch.

Archived