Innovative Marine Aquariums

Built a stand top is slightly askew.

Coastie

So go figure, I bust my @ss to get a stand built, everything seemed perfect until a test fit. It appears that the wood I used for the top was warped. It seems like I can make three of the corners touch while the other corner is raised off the stand. It isn't much but I damn sure don't want to have any tanks breaking.

Anyone have any remedies BESIDES FOAM!?

without seeing it I can only guess... Have you tried to shim the bottom of the cabinet, the corner that is low? Pretty much no such thing as a perfectly level floor and depending on the size and construction of the stand it could be flexing. The foam isn't really going to do much for you. It may visually fill in the gap but it won't be supporting anything.

Steve

Im assuming that u mean the tank will not sit on the top not the top will not sit on the stand right.

What kind of wood is the top? Can you get a belt sander and sand down the high spots?

can you get another piece of wood.

how much room are we talking something minor say a 1/32 or a 1/16 take it outside and fill it up see if the weight of the water will put enough pressure to close the gap and still sit level? if not you could always get a sheet of wood a sand it flat way more work but still doable. or add some heavy duty feet to the bottom and adjust them to sit level could be risky depending on how much water you got.

I was thinking about the planer/belt sander approach. Only problem is I planned to swap to this tank today. There isn't much of a gap. I am also hoping that the location has something to do with it. I may just shim the low corner on the tank and call it good. The tank in question is a 40B. The gap is just enough that you can rock the tank slightly but not enough that it is obviously visible.

i'm just wondering if once the tank is full of rock and water give or take 500lbs if it will flaten out the area in question.if it does then use some bracing in the corners to hold the wood in that position, and your done.

i'm just wondering if once the tank is full of rock and water give or take 500lbs if it will flaten out the area in question.if it does then use some bracing in the corners to hold the wood in that position, and your done.

I got a wrought-iron stand for a 40 breeder and it was slightly warped. Turns out all the iron stands I could find were warped too, but that's another story. Anyway, I had a gap that extended under at least half of the total length, and the maximum gap was a little more than 1/16" inch in the center and I could see light under the tank for about 9-12" on either side of the center. Scared the heck out of me, so I got some 3/4" plywood that is less warped than the stand and put it under the tank. Now I can still see light under the tank, but the gap is only about 8" long (total). Tank has been fine for the past 5 months, and the gap hasn't closed (i.e., the tank isn't "settling").

You'll probably be fine putting a few shims in the gap between the tank and the top. Honestly, even this probably isn't necessary as long as the gap isn't too long, but better safe than sorry. As long as most of the tank is supported, it should be okay. Tanks are incredibly stiff (it's amazing how strong glass is), so it almost 99.9999999999% sure that it won't make a bit of difference.

Why not get a nice piece of stone like granite or something cut and polished to the right dimensions to sit on top?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Why not get a nice piece of stone like granite or something cut and polished to the right dimensions to sit on top?

IMAG0397.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

Glad to hear. Unless the gap is pretty big this is usually what happens.

When I built my stand I used tile adhesive to fill in the low spots in a few places.

Archived