Pod Your Reef

lime green algea?

Alkomist

i have my 5.5g pico up for bout 2 months now and im starting to notice little lime green spots/glotches on some of my rocks....

what can they be?

i dont really dose anything special in the tank ,also i have noticed that my frogspawn hasnt fully expanded (i got them saturday 6 heads total) the frogspawn was under 2 150W MH befor i got em

can it be that they are still acclimating to the new light?(par38 w60* optics

any ideas on what it could be?

the green spots on the rocks look like a neon green color its tripping me out

its really hard to try and get a pic of the green becuase its so bright.

i didnt know their was such a thing as "green coraline" algea

is it good? bad?

well all i can describe is

green spots here and their of neon green. theyre popping up all over the same rock

what cuases "green Coraline"?

P1000603.JPG

Does it look my rock that is half green and half white? I believe that is green coraline algae but I could be wrong, I had to scrape a bunch of that off the side of my tank last week.

The rock was a dry marco rock that I purchased two weeks before that picture.

I don't mean to thread jack here, but curiously any idea why my rock turned green like that? I assumed it was coraline algae but I'm not sure.

P1000603.JPG

Does it look my rock that is half green and half white? I believe that is green coraline algae but I could be wrong, I had to scrape a bunch of that off the side of my tank last week.

The rock was a dry marco rock that I purchased two weeks before that picture.

ye kinda like that but REAL NOENish green! starting out as lil glotches!i was starring at my tank like a maniac last night and i found more spots. all on the same rock like in the picture posted of your rock...its like the color of my Hydnophora ...its on the right next to my ora tri color acro:) sorry for the pic quality (14 mega pixles my ass) the green is real bright and intense even when the lights are off

2ibdgm8.jpg

cant see too well in the pic but it does sound like green corraline, could be green spot algae but I think its corraline. either way its not bad

cool...um can i ask what causes green Coraline alge?

is it the same with purpl CLA and calcium?

it would be cool if they were sponges, but then i would have alot of them..........

you guys have been awsome! glad i dont have to worry thanks for the help:)

coraline algae is just like any other algae, its just a microscopic plant-like creature. coraline just makes a more stoney-skeleton than other algae. as to what causes green instead of purple coraline...i couldnt tell you, would love to know though.

This isn't fool-proof, but when you scraped it off of the glass did it come off easily or scrape of roughly. Coraline has a calcium based skeleton (I don't know if skeleton is the right word here, but it works) so it should be somewhat hard to scrape off. If it came of easily it may just be a very bright algae.

If its calcium based you should be ok. Coraline comes in all kinds of colors. Some are just more common than others.

I'd imagine color variation has to do with two things (as do color variations in most things in this hobby).. lineage and lighting.

In my instance I ran the magfloat over it dozens of times and nothing came up, took out a razor blade and it rolled up into a little roll that floated around my tank until i fished it out. Can film algae be too tought for a magfloat scraper?

well i tried scraping it off the rock last night with a tooth brush, pick and some blades and it wouldnt come off! its real hard so hopefully it is a type of CLA:)

i actually like the way it looks and hope my rock gets covered in it! i think it would look KOO!

thanks again guys for all your help and Great info:)

In my instance I ran the magfloat over it dozens of times and nothing came up, took out a razor blade and it rolled up into a little roll that floated around my tank until i fished it out. Can film algae be too tought for a magfloat scraper?

The only thing I've ever had roll up and float around was the silicone holding the tank together when I got too close to it with the razor blade. I've not had it happen with film algae or coraline on the glass. Both of those usually come off as dust in the water.

Archived