Innovative Marine Aquariums

Loctite stik'n seal outdoor adhesive

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

I was looking at picking up some loctite superglue gel when I noticed a tube of loctite stik'n seal outdoor adhesive on the same isle and looked like it came with much more glue for the same price. The main thing I want to use it for is to attach rocks to the acrylic in my pico to keep bumbling crabs and fish from destroying my scape and keeping my sand based corals safe from avalanch. It's not my intention to use it to hold dow frags since I bought the superglue gel for that, only to attach the rocks to the acrylic overflow. Will it destroy my water chemistry or not, I cannot see what ingreidents it has and do not see if it is a cyanocrylate based porduct or something else. Anybody here ever used this in their tank for any reason or know of someone who has or does. Any help is apreaciated.

gulfsurfer101

I think I will send them an email, I'm on the fence about using it though. I will see how it reacts on a dry surface like porcalin first to see what kind of effects it has and what kind of vapor and thermal heating it will put out as it cures.

Directly from the Loctite website

Not Recommended For:

-Polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP) and polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) plastics, metal-to-metal (one surface should be porous) or rubber

-Applications requiring solvent resistance

-Aquariums or potable water systems

-Applications requiring service temperatures below -58°F (-50°C) and above 248°F (120°C)

-Archival applications

-Applications with prolonged water immersion

Directly from the Loctite website

Not Recommended For:

-Aquariums or potable water systems

I think they are meaning to say here.. that its not recommended for FIXING an aquarium.. by nature of 'portable water systems' combined with 'aquariums' tells me as a 'fixer up'r'

to say submersible is totally different

You aren't reading everything. To start with, it's "potable", as in drinkable water, not portable. If it's not advised for drinking water, it's certainly not advised to be used in a reef. Also, the last line in that list also states that it's not recommended to prolonged water immersion. Sounds like a reef aquarium would fall under that.

You aren't reading everything. To start with, it's "potable", as in drinkable water, not portable. If it's not advised for drinking water, it's certainly not advised to be used in a reef. Also, the last line in that list also states that it's not recommended to prolonged water immersion. Sounds like a reef aquarium would fall under that.

course I was only reading the BOLD :o *snickers*

HecticDialectics

^ this

The MSDS lists tuelene and n-hexane... those aren't listed in any cyanoacrylate glue I know of... looks like its a completely different kind of glue.

gulfsurfer101

Pure Ka Ka imo. I wouldn't use this stuff for any aquatic reason. It wouldn't even hold porcelin together when I just tried to use it. Pure junk and waste of money.

Archived