Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tank hood questions... =)

Laeelin

It took me a while to decide where to place this, but I guess I'll place it here...

I'm trying to decide if I should have a glass cover for my 10 gallon tank I'm starting.

From what I've read, both have advantages.

Currently I'm planning on having a glass cover on the tank, this is why:

1) Timothy (my 2 year old son) loves dropping pennies in the tub, and I would hate to have him drop one into my tank!

2) Protect my lights/wiring.

3) Help keep the tank more stable. (less evaporating water)

That said, how much of the glass should I leave a gap at for air interchange? 1 inch at the back enough?

========

I was planning on having a mirror as the inside top of the tank to reflect the light back down. I'm not so sure that this is a good idea now that I know that glass blocks some of the light.

Thoughts?

Thanks-

i vote glass. one, they're readily available from the tank mfg. (thru lfs or ols). two, acrylic will slightly cure/curve under heat and gravity as a sheet.

i'd get one of the tops offered by the tank makers (match brand to brand due to slight variations). take off the hinge strips and just use the glass panes, front and back of the tank. the middle gap provides more than enough air access and un-impeded light distribution. the hinge strips block too much of the light, e.g. 1" strip over 10" opening = 10% of the light but even worst it blocks the most intense (i.e. middle, shortest distance from origin to target).

if the glue for the mirror can take the heat then i don't see why you can't use it as a reflector. (is that what you meant?) watch out for splashes tho, hot mirrors and water = crack!

i'd just use a off-the-shelf reflector, since they're designed to catch most of the light, it might even be better than a mirror, by re-directing side output directly downwards (kinda like why satellite dishes and light fixtures are parabolic). hth

Archived