Pod Your Reef

New Tank, Input please.

zoox

Hello everyone. This will be the first time I'm posting pics of my tank so please let me know what you think. Right now its not much but it something, coming along pretty well. I Was initially leaving the lights on about 15 hours but found out this was a recipe for disaster so I've cut it down to about 6-8. One week in I added the snails and crabs. After 2 weeks of letting it cycle I was getting some algae and decided to add a blue-green chromis to test the waters. Everything seems to be going well so today I bought a pretty awesome plate coral. I first tried putting it on the rock but soon read this was a bad idea and moved it down on the sand. My fingers were quite slimy after the whole process, hope I didn't hurt it any. Anywho, here we go.

In the tank:

12 lbs of well cured Figi Rock

10 lbs of Live sand

10 neon blue hermits

10 Turbo Snails

1 Emerald Crab

1 little polyp hitchiker

2 Featherdusters, that I know of.

1 Blue-green Chromis - added last week.

1 beautiful plate coral (Heliofungia actiniformis - I believe)

Everything else is completely stock except that I removed half the bio balls.

Tank Shots! Glass is dirty I know :angry:

DSCN0900.jpg

DSCN0914.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

DSCN0910.jpg - Could Someone please identify this??

That carpet anemone looks bleached, did it come that way? What kind of lights do you have?

You will also need some kind of powerhead in there for more flow.

**EDIT**: I mean plate coral, not carpet anemone.

You know, I rushed into my tank pretty fast too, but that was after 2 months of solid research and I felt I had learned everything could learn from reading, now i just want to warn you that people are going to start getting on your case about your decisions to rush into it as fast as your going, you should definatly slow down!!

Do you test your water?!

Why remove half the bioballs?!

Definatly should have started with an easier coral, and u should wait a little while longer before adding coral, I have a bc14 as well, and I rushed adding live stock as well but that want untill all my levels were 0 for a week, take this time now to learn how to regulate your water conditions and do research so when your tank is ready u are too!! It will save you lots money!!

I'm a noob, too, and waiting killed me as well but its usually for the best!!

Good luck with ur tank I hope it works out!!

You know, I rushed into my tank pretty fast too, but that was after 2 months of solid research and I felt I had learned everything could learn from reading, now i just want to warn you that people are going to start getting on your case about your decisions to rush into it as fast as your going, you should definatly slow down!!

Do you test your water?!

Why remove half the bioballs?!

Definatly should have started with an easier coral, and u should wait a little while longer before adding coral, I have a bc14 as well, and I rushed adding live stock as well but that want untill all my levels were 0 for a week, take this time now to learn how to regulate your water conditions and do research so when your tank is ready u are too!! It will save you lots money!!

I'm a noob, too, and waiting killed me as well but its usually for the best!!

Good luck with ur tank I hope it works out!!

I've been reading stuff on here for over a year so I think I've got a pretty good idea of what's out there. My params have been zero, or pretty close to it since about 5 days after I added the rocks. They were very well cured and had lots of coraline when I bought them.have Also been adding about a half cap full of Micro Bacter everyday since I set the tank up to help establish my bacteria. The guy at my LFS gave me the filter out of his tank too so I'm sure that helped a little. I don't see how I'm really moving that fast, its been 3 weeks and all I've added is one coral and a fish.

It's not a carpet anemone, its a white plate coral (Heliofungia actiniformis). Lights are stock. Pump is stock, don't think theres a need to upgrade yet seeing as the Heliofungia actiniformis prefers moderate to low flow.

Looks a lot like a torch to me, mine has mouths that look identical to that

Thanks for the replies guys. I was able to remove the Majano with a pair of tweezers so I guess now I'll just have to my keep fingers crossed it was the only one. One other question, I noticed on one of the plate coral's tentacles there are very tiny string like things extending from the base. Are these normal? What are they? I'd try to post a pic but I don't think I can get one. Also, theres a piece of fish food resting on it, should I remove it or will it eat it?

OClownsandNanos

Never had a heliofungia myself (looking into getting fungia in the future though), so I'm not sure what those string like things are. But just keep an eye out for brown jelly disease. The heliofungia is one polyp, and with heliofungia in particular once it gets brown jelly infection it's pretty much a goner. Fungia can actually lose a decent amount of tissue mass and be okay, but heliofungia is a lot more sensitive in that respect. I think that's why fungia (short tentacle plates) are understood to be more hardy and that's why I'm interested in getting that type of plate for my tank in the future.

And DNIC the reason why you think it looks like a euphyllia is because it strongly resembles one in many ways (other than the fact that it is only one polyp). It can and does move on the sandbed, however, unlike any euphyllia I know.

Oh and it will eat solid food so you can keep it on its mouth if you like. Here's a good article by Julian Sprung on heliofungias.

Warehouse41Ant

Looks like it's going to be a nice tank, but you will want to slow things down. Give what you've got in there at least a month and make sure all is still well.

Someone else already said it, but that may be a bit of an ambitious coral to start with.

Good luck!

Looks like it's going to be a nice tank, but you will want to slow things down. Give what you've got in there at least a month and make sure all is still well.

Someone else already said it, but that may be a bit of an ambitious coral to start with.

Good luck!

Yea, I guess thats the case. The guy at the this LFS I went to told me it was pretty easy to take care of but I'm not sure I have much faith in him. He also sold me a sebae anemone the day before that was very yellow / orange which I suspected was dyed, despite him denying it. He let me exchange it for this guy. Luckily I live in Miami so there are lots of LFS's to choose from, I think I found on I really like today. Maybe I should try to exchange this guy too lol? Get something more hardy, I like the torches & frogspawns, would those be a better choice?

I was thinking of adding a clown maybe in a week or so, but I'm not sure if it will put me over the edge. I'm guessing it would be better to just swap the chromi for one. You guys think having two fish in there would be too much? My params haven't been over zero really at all in the three weeks I've had the tank.

OClownsandNanos
Give what you've got in there at least a month and make sure all is still well.

+1 I wouldn't add anything more to the bioload right now or any more corals for that matter just yet. You wanna make sure that heliofungia is doing well and the tank's handling everything before adding anything else. If you want to exchange the chromis for a clown, that's the most I'd do. In the meantime, you might want to change your shopping approach when you go to nearby LFS. (I don't doubt you've been doing your research but learning in this hobby's like a lifetime thing.) Start making a working list of corals, etc. you'd like to keep and you know your tank can accomodate given your current livestock. Work from that list only. Don't let a sales guy talk you into something you are not very well acquainted with because it's a losing proposition almost every single time. Their motives may be in alignment with yours if you happen upon a good, responsible LFS with well-educated employees, but you can't count on it.

nice.

I would get some more live rock in there, that will increase you capacity for the bio load,

strengthen the biological system, giving you less possible headaches in the future.

Plus it will give you more room for critters down the line and increase the intensity of your lights

by lessening the surface to rock depth.

Like some one said above, get some more flow in there with maybe two hydor nano's.

They are pretty inexpensive.

If ya do get more rock, make sure it is cured well, big difference.

Some LFS will say it is, when it's not.

B)

I think I see why everyone is on my case here about going so fast. When I made this post I was 3.5 weeks in, not 2. Everything is still going pretty well: pH about 8.0, nitrite zero, ammmonia zero, nitrate about 15ppm, maybe a little less. Going to do my first full water change tomorrow or Monday, so far have only topped off three times.

However, this plate coral has really been through the ringer. I came home yesterday and saw the smallest rock had jostled loose and was laying in the sand, undoubtedly after it had landed on the coral and rolled off. Still looked ok after that, but then. As I was changing the lights, one of the screws slipped through my fingers and into the corals mouth (WHAMMY!)... not cool. I got it out with some tweezers but I'm not sure what to expect now, if this guy makes it he's a keeper for sure. No real physical signs of damage other than some cottony like mucus on the side where it was struck by the rock. I talked with the guy at the aquarium store and he seems to think that it will make a full recovery, wish me luck.

Archived