Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need help with fuge ideas for 5 gallon tank

homerparrot

I am planning a fuge for my 5 gal nano reef. I have a few questions.

My objections for creating the fuge are filtration w/ micro algae and a place to hide my heater.

My concerns are sizeand what to make it out of.

I have an eclipse hex 5 tank, it is a 5 gal hexagon shaped tank. The main issue is the back section is only 6 inches wide, so if I go with a HOB fuge then it is going to have to be fairly narrow. I want to put my heater in the fuge, to get it out of the tank. I also want the fuge to replace the filtration system that came with my eclipse tank, so it needs to be big enough to filter my tank.

The tank is a 5 gallon with 1 small percula, 1 shrimp and a few corrals.

Give me some advise on how big I need, and how I should go about it. I dont want to spend much money on this, so a prebuilt fuge is out. I was thinking a HOB filter converted would be quick and easy.

what do you all think?

thanks

A rubber maid storage container, a decent pump (mag 5 or so) and $20 in PVC fittings and pipe, make a great fuge. Either drill the tank or DIY an overflow, and youre done. Dirt cheap and as big or small as space allows.

can you explain or send me in the right direction of how to plumb the fuge, not sure the differences in overflows or drilled tank, and the pros and cons of each. How big do I need? How much light does algae require? Any reason not to go big?

I don't know if you are interested in a HOB system, but for a 5g system a skilter filter converted to a fuge would be great. The reason I suggest this more than a plumbed system is because the survival of copapods and other critters from the rock in your fuge will be alot higher than if they pass an impeller. Plus! the guts of the skilter come out and if you cut the bottom out of the skimmate pan it can be turned into a light hood for your fuge so that you can control the light individually from your tank. If you want a little more detail email me and I'll send you pics of mine

I agree... i'm using a modified skilter 250 as a fuge for my 5 gallon flatback hex. My 25watt hagen heater fits perfectly inside, and it doesn't seem to move water too fast. (i'll let you know how that goes with a bit of sand and rock in the tank, once i get it in)

I like the idea of a hang on back fuge. I was thinking about a plumbed fuge seperate from the tank, but that might just be a little more trouble then I am looking for. The main problem I have seen with a HOB is that my tank is hexagon shaped, so the back is only 6 inches wide. I have not found a HOB that is that narrow. What are the dimensions of a skilter? A skilter is a skimmer and filter in one, right? Do you guys remove the skimmer? I would like to have a skimmer if possible.

I would love to see you alls pics of your converted skilter.

thanks very much

tony

My neighbor has a 5G in his sons bedroom and he is using a Aquaclear 200 for a fuge. He put Mud from the keys and some algae in there. He claims that he see's pods in his tank every now and then... so I guess it works.

Archived