Innovative Marine Aquariums

Flame Angel in 20 gallon high???

Boomerblaster

Boomerblaster

Hey everone, I have recently fallen in love with the flame angel. They are gorgeous! Now, is it possible to keep one happy in my 20 gallon high? It doesn't even have salt in it yet... My TBS package was delayed!!! (which i am NOT too happy about!) Until next weekend, but i am just wondering for future reference, even if it is the only fish in my tank?? Thanks for the opinions!! Also i'd like to hear some stories about your TBS rock! Thanks

-Jonathan

I have a smaller yellow dwarf angel in my 20 Gallon High. I have had him for 4 months and he is fine and very active in the tank. Flame angels can be aggresive and they are a crap shot when it comes to reef tank compatability. Some eat soft corals. some do not. Some people have reported them eating their bubble coral, nipping at clam mantals, and nipping colonly polyps causing them to close all the time while other have reported that they never touch corals. They are also very fond of sponges.

If you are going to keep corals, I would say 'No' on the flame angel. If you plan to have a fish and LR only tank then your should be okay. They are compatibile with most fish, just not the same species. If you get a smaller one, you should be okay. You can have another fish as well, but plan on the flame angel getting about 4" long when fully grown.

Also, make sure you

Archived