Coral Vue Hydros

Flakes or Granules?

diablovt750

I have never used any kind of dry food in any of my fish tanks. I have always used frozen or gel foods but have recently been curious to experiment just because I think it will be a bit easier then feeding frozen all the time and it will give their diet some variety. I have been looking at various flake and granule foods and I am just curious....what is the difference? Is one better then the other? I dont know why but something about it saying "WILL NOT CLOUD WATER" right on the bottle makes me thing that it will do the exact opposite! (Just like the cat litter that says "DUST FREE FORMULA" and when you pour it out it fills the room with a dust cloud!) Im looking for a good, affordable, dry food! Any suggestion on which one to go with?

I've been using Ocean Nutrition's Formula One and Formula Two flakes for years. The pellets are good, but they sink faster (and as you know, if it hits the sand, most fish won't eat it). I think it's nice to get them used to eating dry food (so you can use a feeder when on vacation).

I have never used flakes....but I assume they would be more delicate than a pellet. I like pellets because they seem to still stay somewhat buoyant like a flake but are totally consumed when eaten instead of a flake that might be blasted into bits when a fish tries to eat it. I could see a flake clouding water a lot faster than a pellet.

Yeah, I agree! Last time I went on vacation the person the was "Supposed" to take care of my tank WAY over fed and crashed my tank. I had to start all over again from scratched which really sucked. So I will try the flakes first then I guess and see what happens.

pellets are cleaner imo. probably better nutrition too

At the very least more compact and bulky/substantial feeding. It is like asking if a vanilla wafer cookie is more filling than a whole wheat, oat filled, bran coated......cookie....or something ;)

Archived