ReefCleaners.org

Best hawkfish?!

brandolando4

Picking my third fish is killing me, so I love hawkfish and I was wondering what would the best hawkfish be for a 14 gallon biocube with 2 baby clowns and a cleaner shrimp and maybe eventually sexy shrimp!!

Thanks

+1 I'd pass...

Maybe a longnose, but still they're not very friendly to invertebrates. You may wake up to a shrimp souffle.

Lol, see that's what I always thought, but on my other thread people said a hawkfish would work lol.

Has anyone done this succesfully

I was thinking a pixie or spotted, I'm just trying to see all the fish options I could get

I was just talking "in general". I'm sure someone has done it before. You might have luck with a smaller hawk, with larger inverts it's possible he wouldn't bother anything. But I wouldn't chance it with sexy shrimp. It seems like those 2 are definitely incompatible.

CoralWhisperer

You know which species I like the best, and Ill remind you what I told you about people on the net telling you it cant be done . . .

No matter what the subject, there are gonna be people that just wanna argue that their idea is the right one . . .

Now if you have small shrimp and a big hawk, you MIGHT have problems.

My flame dont even look sideways at my shrimps, and I have 2 small $6 peppermints and 2 $30 medium fire shrimps.

There is potential, but if everything is fed well, your chances for problems diminish.

Any fish or creature has the potential to eat any other fish or creature, thats the game we play by putting them all in the same confined area.

Most hawks are wild-caught, Im pretty sure only the longnose has been captive bred, and a bigger more mature hawk is gonna see shrimps as food whereas a smaller hawk has a better chance of eating flake or other packaged foods.

I like shrimps and flamehawks enough that it outweighs the risks . . .

And keep in mind that the cleaner shrimps have distinct patterns and behaviors that most fish recognize as "cleaner", and most species of fish will let even those tasty morsels inside their mouths without chompin down.

Now if you have small shrimp and a big hawk, you MIGHT have problems....

There is potential, but if everything is fed well, your chances for problems diminish...

Any fish or creature has the potential to eat any other fish or creature, that's the game

we play by putting them all in the same confined area.

....whereas a smaller hawk has a better chance of eating flake or other packaged foods.

I agree..

I would get a small flame or falco and keep it fed...I love hawkfish, long-nosed is my fav.

But they all share that great personality..

Archived