Coral Vue Hydros

Suppliment and Powerhead questions

Deebo

Hey guys after a month of reefing and countless trips to LFSs, ive compiled a nice amount of suppliments. Im not 100% on what is great for my tanks and what is something that was just sold to me because of my ignorance.

Here is a list of what I have:

Brightwell Reef Code A + B

Brightwell Liquid Reef

Brightwell Restor

Brightwell Korals Color

Brightwell MicroBacter7

Brightwell Replenish

CaribSea PurpleUp

What ive been doing since ive started the tank is add the Macrobacter everyday as directed. I then got the Reef Code A+B and the PurpleUp and added those when my calcium and/or alcalinity was a little low. I never added either without checking first.

After spending a while researching all of the suppliments, Reef Code, Liquid Reef, and PurpleUp all add a few similar things so any advise on what i should be using?Also any imput about the other?

As for the powerhead question, I have a tall cresent tank and i will be getting in my Vortech mp10 soon. Any ideas/tips on the best placement? I also have a koralia 750 and a sump pump that can put out about 575 GPH(its kept pretty low since it seems my overflow box cant keep up with its action)

Any help will be appreciated. Please feel free to ask any questions for clarity.

your tank is less than a month old, you don't need any of those supplements. chances are your tank is still stabilizing, if not still cycling. I say, don't to anything to your tank but top off for a full month, then start testing again and see where you're at. seriously, leave the tank alone - keep your hands out, no more corals or fish, and no supplements.

Most will tell you to straight up trash the purpleup.. most of the others, I haven't heard of.

As for your original question:

what is something that was just sold to me because of my ignorance.

Short answer is all of it. If any is unopened, I'd say return it as you'll probably never need it. Going forward, don't supplement or otherwise put additives in your tank unless there is a specific problem you are trying to correct (Low Ca, Flatworms, etc). Most people don't use anything but salt and water and are very successful.

Obviously, this is no dig against you - you're new and who can blame you for wanting to do it right :) You're definitely on track by asking here. Lots of good (and a few bad :P) people to keep you in line!

Thank you =)

God i would have loved to have gotten a straight answer like that. I aprreciate it

no problem. I remember what it was like to be new to the hobby, but trust me, patience is the most important skill a reefkeeper can have. tinkering is the main cause of most tank crashes, imo.

you could keep the supplements for possible future use; you never know what you may need in six months or a year. vivid is a bit of a drive for you to return them, but you could always sell them on craiglist or sdreefs.com.

good luck. :)

As for the powerhead question, I have a tall cresent tank and i will be getting in my Vortech mp10 soon. Any ideas/tips on the best placement? I also have a koralia 750 and a sump pump that can put out about 575 GPH(its kept pretty low since it seems my overflow box cant keep up with its action)

Any help will be appreciated. Please feel free to ask any questions for clarity.

I just got an MP10 and love it! What are the dimensions of your tank? The mp10 can put out plenty of flow for smaller tanks so you may not need the koralia in there taking up space. Also depends on what type of corals you are keeping?

@ jeremai - I spent a good while the other night reading the articles in your link for "fickle waters" and loved them. I will take your advise and just let the tank do its thing for a while but you were a little broad as to just let the tank go for a month. Should I continue doing a weekly 5g water change? (the system is about 37 gallons total). Or is your reccomendation mostly toward halting the use of suppliments?

@bioload - Im very excited to get my vortech! My tank is 26" tall, 26" wide and the radius of the curved front is about 14.5" Heres a pic of it from above to rele show the shape.

post-64206-1296518119_thumb.jpg

I love the high flow corals and im a fan of watching tanks where the fish are activly swimming as opposed to just floating in still water

This video is a good clip of the flow and look im trying to achieve

while reading up on a post, i forgot where, i came across someone having a problem with flow becasue of his cresent shaped tank and was wondering if anyone has experience with these.

@ jeremai - I spent a good while the other night reading the articles in your link for "fickle waters" and loved them. I will take your advise and just let the tank do its thing for a while but you were a little broad as to just let the tank go for a month. Should I continue doing a weekly 5g water change? (the system is about 37 gallons total). Or is your reccomendation mostly toward halting the use of suppliments?

yeah, keep up with your normal maintenance - top offs, water changes, feeding fish, etc. just don't add anything new to the tank, especially supplements. let the system stabilize; at this point, it's just too early to tell what needs the system might actually have.

Archived