Pod Your Reef

Pistol Shrimp... Is this for real?

Nate Dawg

Do pistol shrimps actually make bubbles that reach the temperature of the sun?

Also, do they eat other shrimp?

I didn't know they would eat a skunk cleaner shrimp.

qwiksilver711

Do pistol shrimps actually make bubbles that reach the temperature of the sun?

Also, do they eat other shrimp?

I didn't know they would eat a skunk cleaner shrimp.

if they did do you think it would work in the tank... i would think that temp even in a small bubble would evap a tank instantly

if they did do you think it would work in the tank... i would think that temp even in a small bubble would evap a tank instantly

True, but my main question is Would they eat a cleaner shrimp?

It's true about the temp. Though, most of the shrimp in the hobby are not the same. The larger pistol shrimp even actively hunt and kill mantis shrimp.

Yes im a marine biology major, and that is 100 percent true!!

i have heard as long as they are well fed they will leave most everything alone, as long as they stay away from its hole

Oh hey... that video again.

Mine hasn't exploded my tank yet. And he lived peacefully with 2 skunk cleaners for quite some time.

Yes im a marine biology major, and that is 100 percent true!!

i have heard as long as they are well fed they will leave most everything alone, as long as they stay away from its hole

I would think finding a tiny thermometer to fit inside the bubble that exists for a fraction of a second would prove difficult.

I would think finding a tiny thermometer to fit inside the bubble that exists for a fraction of a second would prove difficult.

On the other hand, putting a thermometer in the sun is probably pretty difficult too...

Tiny thermometer not needed. This is how it was measured:

How snapping shrimp snap

Oops, link to wrong paper. Correct one is http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v401/...s/401772a0.html. Doesn't seem to be freely available, but if anyone wants the pdf IM and I'm sure something can be worked out.

But experimental measurements4, 5 of conditions inside cavitating bubbles are scarce, and there have been no studies of interior temperature as a function of experimental parameters....and thus vary the effective emission temperature for multi-bubble sonoluminescence from 5,100 to 2,300 K.

The Sun's outer visible layer is called the photosphere and has a temperature of 6,000°C (11,000°F).

So if 11,000F = ~6366K then no, not quite

Archived