Innovative Marine Aquariums

retrofit?

phenom5

sorry, got no exp with this, so i figured that i'd ask. i was cruising along setting up my 10g when my fiance caught wind of my spending rampage and put a stop to it. along with her cutting my LR order down she went through the roof when i told her i wanted to get a $170 power quad X). so i'm stuck wit a coralife 28W PC fixture. not looking to do anything crazy, just want some zoos, rics, and maybe some other lower light softies, but i would like to upgrade to maybe the 55-65W range. so if i get a new ballast, endcap, and bulb i can swap out everything from my current fixture right? like i said, no exp with this so just want to check before i spend any cash...

My advice: ditch the fiance. ;)

Seriously, it is a pain to buy inadequate lighting and then pay again when you want to upgrade. (Which you will.) I know it is hard to wait, but why not just save up for the lighting you really need for what you want to do? Meanwhile, cycle the tank and get the clean up crew working nice and slow under the current low light that you have.

Does that sound like a plan?

since you have to stick with the crappy lights, the next time the significant other wants a new pair of shoes, take her to payless and tell her that it's only fair. cheap lights=cheap shoes.... if you can manage to sneak in the 55 or 65watt upgrade, i'd go for it. that should be plenty for what you want to keep. it's already obvious that you're gonna have a long road of struggle ahead of you. keep your head up and good luck bro.... j..

the next time the significant other wants a new pair of shoes, take her to payless and tell her that it's only fair. cheap lights=cheap shoes....

LMAO...i try to get her to spend $$$...that way she can't ***** when i spend $$$$...

so i could do a direct swap right? never had to do it, all my previous tanks were before we were together, so i started out with the right lights, never used a retrofit..

thanks J

dude, even if you get her to spend some serious ca$h, it still won't mean that it's ok for you to spend a few bucks on a lighting upgrade.... it will just mean that there's less money to spend.. it's a no win situation LOL.... but seriously, as far as swapping out your lights, we have to know exactly what's going out and what's coming in. not sure what fixture you have, so i don't know what will fit in there. the 65w pc bulbs are almost 2' long and the 55's are a little shorter. go to (www.championlighting.com) and check out their pc retros and fixtures to give yourself an idea of what will work on your ten. the 65w smartlight by csl might fit perfectly over your ten, but i'm not sure of your tank's dimensions. just make sure to keep those credit card statements on the downlow;)

Archived