ReefCleaners.org

Water testing while cycling?

jcieutat

My tank has been running for a little over two weeks now. I put 20lbs of live sand and a small amount of live sand from an established tank. I put in approximately 35 - 40 lbs of live rock from a LFS that was in an established tank. I put in premixed saltwater (tropic marin) salt from a LFS and some existing saltwater from an established tank. I gradually have increased my lighting everyday. I am now at 7 hrs per day. I have not seen the first bit of algae. I put a small cuc (10 snails and 10 crabs) from day one and have only lost one snail. While I was not supposed to do it, I place a few soft corals in the other day and they are doing really well.

Test results from 1-16-10:

Alkalinity - 11

Phosphate - 0

Nitrate - 0

Calcium - 420

Nitrite - 0

Ammonia - .25

Test results from 1-29-11:

Alkalinity - 13

Phosphate - 0

Nitrate - 0

Calcium - 440

Nitrite - 0

Ammonia - 0

I am unsure of the increase in calcium and alkalinity. When should I do a water change? Do you think that I only had a soft cycle since I used good rock and sand?

Yes you had a soft cycle. You could have made a testing error. ALK seems a little high at 13. I dont think there is a way for alk and cal to go up unless you dose or do a water change. 10% water change each week. If you dont have any algae you may want to feed your cuc.

I have been feeding them a few pellets every other day. I am using the API test kits. It is possible that it was an error. I am planning on doing a water change sometime this week.

Archived