Top Shelf Aquatics

what size tank is better

MaxMike

I really don't suggest beginners start with a nano-reef. The more tank you have, the more water you have to play with. Larger tanks with more water are more stable, don't accumulate nitrate as quickly, etc.

Go with the biggest tank you can afford. I'd only suggest nano-reefing to people who have kept bigger tanks, or people who have done a lot of research into caring for them. Believe it or not, it can be just as much work (or more) to maintain a little reef as it is to maintain a bigger one.

Larger tanks and their requisite equipment will cost more up front, but if you're a complete newbie, i'd suggest going bigger.

while aipt's got a point, a lot of beginners have been very successful starting small (see Members' & Photos forum). i'd like to think that it's a result of a combination of available equipment and accepting attitude (toward nano-reefing) these days.

if you're planning to go complete reef then stake out a budget with most of it going to lighting imo. i would tack on a protein skimmer but that's just my pers pref. people here are split 50/50 on the skimming.

i'd start with a standard size/shape tank. (i.e. 10g or 20Long) these shapes have the most applicable equipment (e.g. lighting, filtration, overflows, etc.).

before all of that tho, i usually recommend to the reefer to figure out what they hope to raise. the livestock they're aiming for may have particular needs better suited by certain physical factors (e.g. height for seahorses, area/length for fish, substantial rock amounts for rock dwellers, sandbed etc.).

try to figure out most of what you absolutely want and then build it around that. reefs are specific ecosystems, built of even more specific sub-ecosystems. our goal is usually to replicate one or more of those sub-ecos. hth

hey bro i replied to you in the topic of the week forum check there. welecom to the boards. and rember do nothing fast in reefing. all good tanks come with time.

i go lfs tomorrow to get a 20gal tall tank...a skimmer..ph..LS n LR...let it cycle first.then i figure the rest later..think i goona get hook again...

skip the LR and LS for a day or 2, mix your saltwater and let that circulate for a day or 2...get your pH up ( not that it matters, its just going to drop once your cycle starts) and your spg in the 1.023-1.025 range and after its circulated of a day or 2 then add your LR and LS. while your at the lfs get a good book or 2 and don't forget to pick up a test kit that includes atleast tests for ammonia, trites and trates for your cycle...

and remember, only bad thing happen quickly in reef tanks. and that is 10x the case in a nano reef...take a deep breath and slow down...

ok..understand..patience is the key to success....going to get book and tank tomorrow...and salt too...(still looking ard for more idea on reefkeeping)

2days later i'll put the LR n LS but do i need any fish to cycle

the tank..

thank again :)

do i need any fish to cycle

the tank..

no, your LR and LS will start the cycle. also get a powerhead to circulate the water, and a heater to bring the temp up to 72-78 F range...

also, Despite the fact that there are many decent LFS ouot there and the staff at yours may give great advice... I recommend checking here using the search function before getting talked into large purhcases.

Also, with some equipment such as lighting you can often get it online for less. You will see posts for places like Hello Lights on this MB all the time.

As mentioned, Take your time. Mistakes can be costly to your wallet, but far more costly to the critters you keep. You can not read enough. Check out fish magazines as well as books.

right i already put the ph in the list maybe getting 2 as for lighting i'm going for HM pendant 70w already order from a fren of mine and chiller (got to look ard for more info...it hot in singapore)

In Singapore LFS are mostly Fw...very hard to get saltwater :o

You might try one of these for something as small as a 20 gallon.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...3565&in_merch=1

I haven't used one, but I have heard that they work pretty well. They do have a couple of advantages over the old compressor style chillers.

1) They are cheaper to run (electricity wise)

2) You don't have to worry about coolant leakes etc. (these just result in chiller failing to chill as well as a repair bill)

3) They are less expensive to buy.

I hope this helps

/EDIT My mistake. A further search shows that thes units can only decrease the temp of a 20 gal by 4 degrees C. That may not be stong enough for you.

Archived