SaltCritters.com

Does a DIY Bottle Skimmer need time to break in?

I built one out of an old gravel vacume. it takes a day or 2 for a good foam to built up in it to start working good. needs to build up those dry bubbles..

Its been 2 days now and I'm starting to see some foam now. I thought the foam was supposed to be brown? Here us a pic and vid of what is looks like.

2011-01-301013302.jpg

Here is a picture of my AP 12g just in case you were interested. It been running for over 2 years.

2011-01-20152259.jpg

Funktastic Wint
Its been 2 days now and I'm starting to see some foam now. I thought the foam was supposed to be brown? Here us a pic and vid of what is looks like.

2011-01-301013302.jpg

Here is a picture of my AP 12g just in case you were interested. It been running for over 2 years.

2011-01-20152259.jpg

how did u build it? i want MOAR

Here is a simple drawing on what it looks like. I cut the bottom of a water bottle and cut the top half of another water bottle. The glued them together a put a collecting cup in between them. I bought an air pump that I could connect two air stones too. I got this idea from evil66. Then I placed the air stones through the bottom of the bottle. I'm only getting white wet bubbles that settle into the collection cup and a light brown water. Is my skimmer working? Also is they any improvements I could make I my sad little skimmer. Thanks for the help.

2011-01-302019503.jpg

The only problem I see with this design is theres no in and out flow of water. Need to have a way of drawing water in then a way for the clean water to get out. Water will be drawn in from the rising bubbles but then has no where to go. It will just kind of circulate in the bottle.

The only problem I see with this design is theres no in and out flow of water. Need to have a way of drawing water in then a way for the clean water to get out. Water will be drawn in from the rising bubbles but then has no where to go. It will just kind of circulate in the bottle.

I cant think of a way to pull out water. I was thinking of drilling a hole on the side of the bottle but then some micro bubbles would escape.

Do simallar to the biocube and seaclone skimmer. A tube in a tube. The inner tube has the air stone and then the water will go up then flow down the outside tube.

i've done this before when i had a 10g but mine was directly in the tank.

my experiences with this was that it worked better with the airstones at the opening instead of directly in the bottle with a pump pointed directly at it for water flow. also, instead of gluing the two bottles together, i used PVC in between with O-rings to adjust the skimming height. the PVC extended into the body of the bottle - this provided a longer column for the bubbles to rise.

i found that this DIY is very sensitive to water fluctuations and it did best with an ATO. for what it's worth, it produced skimmate, but i dont think it contributed much to my tank except microbubbles.

i ended up buying a tunze nanoskimmer soon after.

Archived