Coral Vue Hydros

Sand/water probs

Nathan06

It has been 8hrs since I added aragamax sand to my 10 gallon without rinsing it. It is still a huge cloud....doesn't seem like its settling? Normally how long does it settle in? Can I add filter floss or something to help take some out through my HOB? Just wondering...I have LR and zoos waiting to go back in. They are in a 2.5 gal tank I filled with SW from the 10.

Thanks

Nathan

That will teach you about not rinsing your sand first. :) I would throw in some floss in your HOB. But be carefule when you take out the floss. Don't forget to turn off your HOB or else some of the stuff that you pull out will go right back into your tank.

well i was stold it would settle that's why I didn't rinse it...next time I will. This morning it is still really cloudy. I added some filter floss just a few min ago. Geez this is really annoying. Might have to do a w/c.

Nathan

22hrs since I added the sand....and its still really bad. I dont want to do a water change and use up my DI water and salt when it could settle. But I have put some carbon and more filtering media in the HOB......wow this is really bad.

I Might have to setup the 5.5 for my LR and zoos that are in a 2.5 holding tank.

:( This is really frustrating......

Yikes. :x

I've never had that prolonged cloudiness. as I mentioned earlier I generally just give a light rinse because I like to have some of the finer particles in my tank and the cloudiness settles after about 5 hours or so. :blush:

As mentioned by the others, use floss to get rid of the milkiness. Double or tripple it up it up if you have to. unfortunately carbon will not help with this, but if it makes you feel better go for it. If you have an quick filter around (the ones that click onto the bottom of powerheads) they are great for taking out really fine particles. They cost about $7 at most LFS.

I really hope it clears up for you soon.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Ths is the item I'm talking about.

LOL Well I DO know to rinse the sand from now on. I'm using lots of floss but I take it out and rinse after I turn the HOB off and alot comes out but there is like no progress in the tank cloudiness! And then I put the floss back in and turn the HOB on and it shoots out some particles....almost reversing what I took out....SO this would take forever. I just convinced my dad so we are going out to the LFS to pick up a PH filter like you showed...I almost got them from D&S a couple times when i ordered from them but never did. I'll give you all an update later.

Thanks

Nathan

Just leave the floss in. as it traps particles the "holes" become smaller and it traps smaller particles. Only pull it if it is truly clogged. Since what you are trapping is innorganic dust from the gravel you don't have to worry about it degrading. This should help speed up the process a little.

Just be patient and it will clear up. :)

Yay, only 1hr and 30 min with the powerhead filter on and its cleared up the tank enought that I can see the back. Now that I could see the sand...I had to move some of it around b/c it was to high in the back and what not. So it clouded up a little but I'm not concerned...in about 30 min it'll prolly be better. I'll be able to add my LR back in tonight before I go to bed.

These filters are great!!

Thanks

Nathan

Archived