Pod Your Reef

Chiller for 28 HQI

Encantado

My jbj 28 HQI is producing too much heat. The temp. seemed fine when I just had live rock (while cycling) but after I put some CUC in the temp jumped to 82 degrees. Not sure if the CUC could possibly have to do with that, or if they heat turing on in my apartment affected it. Either way, I think it's time to get a chiller.

A LFS has a mini arctica chiller 1/15th HP Series DBI-050-D

I have looked at some reviews online and everyone seems to like the unti they have. It looks like most people paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $350+ for theirs. The LFS is willing to sell me this at $260.

In doing research I found that they discontinued this model, so this just happens to be a new left over.

Do you think that is a good deal? Anyone have thoughts about this model?

...or cut two holes in the front of the hood on either side of the feeding hole, bolt up 2 computer fans and run them to a 12v adapter from ebay. Total spent should be around $15-$40 dollars depending on what stuff you have laying around.

...or cut two holes in the front of the hood on either side of the feeding hole, bolt up 2 computer fans and run them to a 12v adapter from ebay. Total spent should be around $15-$40 dollars depending on what stuff you have laying around.

I agree fans can make a huge difference as long as you have a/c for the summer months.Then they MIGHT not be enough.

So the fans that are currently on there are not strong enough? I guess that makes sense. I do have air conditioning for the summer. I was told I needed to worry about it more in the winter because my heat is always on...

The fans that are on there are more for running air through the hood's internals. If you are interested, I can PM you with some pics and some help on how to easily evacuate some halide heat without cutting your hood's plastic.

Archived