Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anyone ever grow a reef?

Grape Nuts

What is your malfunction. Grow rocks, what the hell are you talking about?

...dude, put the bong down and back away v e r y s l o w l y....... ;)

I can't stop laughing.....

ahem, not ALL live rock is dead coral. a lot of it is trigger and parrot fish crap. Explain to me what coral did a 5 lbs chunk of ultra fiji. come from? I hear people say this all the time. A lot of LR IS indeed coral skeleton (Pukani is acro skeleton for example) but there is plenty of LR that that did not used to be coral. At least, not before it was eaten by parrot fish and crapped out into layers over thousands of years.

But as far as growing rocks goes....you need: a 60-70 thousand gallon tank, a school of parrot fish, a bunch of random chunks of smaller rocks for them to bite and munch on, and....ah what the hell you can't do it, the answer is no.

godfathernikki

There are some fast growing corals that would make this possible on a small scale. Think LPS branching corals like candy canes, duncans, hammers. I have a candy cane that I frag about once every 6 months, and I always end up with an extra long piece of skeleton on the main frag that I usually just snap off and toss back into the tank.

Society as a whole has gone in the complete wrong direction. We can now put corals, found hundreds of feet under the ocean surface, inside of an Xbox, yet we can't make rock.

skimlessinseattle
I've certainly had SPS frags grow to a decent size and then die. Other corals started growing on the dead skeleton. This is basically how a reef is formed. It's not an entirely ridiculous question.

But the responses are freaking brilliant! This thread is awesome.

It still requires healthy coral to be grown, killed, and then grown back over with some other coral. '

Unless you do like what someone said and frag candy canes and frogspawn until you have a tank full of basically Tonga branch......ugly

...dude, put the bong down and back away v e r y s l o w l y....... ;)

+1 lmao

Let's not be so archaic here.....

It is 2012, you know....

c208_usb_pet_rock.jpg

awsome LM FREKING ASS OFF....

Society as a whole has gone in the complete wrong direction. We can now put corals, found hundreds of feet under the ocean surface, inside of an Xbox, yet we can't make rock.

Reef Saver rock is man made. It's like concrete and some sort of resins.

Problem is it requires an entire ecosystem to grow a rock, no piece of one.

So many things contribute to the formation of live rock, everything from corals that grow and die, to fish and creature that poop and what not, to water currents carrying sediments and what not around.

Just aint doable in a controlled environment. :lol:

ahem, not ALL live rock is dead coral. a lot of it is trigger and parrot fish crap. Explain to me what coral did a 5 lbs chunk of ultra fiji. come from? I hear people say this all the time. A lot of LR IS indeed coral skeleton (Pukani is acro skeleton for example) but there is plenty of LR that that did not used to be coral. At least, not before it was eaten by parrot fish and crapped out into layers over thousands of years.

This is true, but they crap sand, not sure it eventually turns into "rock". Guess it could if there was a shift in the ocean's bottom layer (ie earthquake) compressing the sand into rock after a few thousand years. Not sure it works like that. A 5lb piece of "ultra fiji" could simply come from a larger piece broken off. Sorry, thinking out loud. Interesting tho....maybe not such a silly thread after all!

LMAO +1 whole thread, USB pet rock and puff pass

Step 1: Take some sulfuric water, add amino acids.

Step 2: Apply copious amounts of electricity, evaporation, rain, and heat from your local volcano.

Step 3: Wait a few million years.

Step 4: Enjoy Life!

It is possible to do a synthetic reef, although not a true reef which does take 1000's of years.

A fast growing SPS such as a birdsnest for instance, get several frags of that put it in the bottom of the tank. As it grows the underlaying tissue dies and becomes the basis for live rock. However the coral keeps on growing. Anyone who has ever had a birdsnest will testify to that. Not saying how long this will take for the birdsnest to grow and reach the top of the tank and give you a makeshift base to put other corals on but it is possible. But if you are on the natrual forming of a reef, why are you not starting up with making your own sand first ? To do that you will need to do all the above about 10 times over but wait for your entire reef to degrade to dust so to speak each time in between :D

The best part about the usb pet rock is the usb does nothing lol the computer doesnt even recognise it.

I could see some place like newegg offering novalty pet rocks that actually has a beagle board embedded inside it. You plug in your rock and you go to a website where your pet rock can go virtual and play with other online petrocks. You could make a birth certificate, have virtual pet rock clothes, play fetch with your pet rock, get points for winning a race against other pet rocks, and spend the points on furniture for your pet rock's playhouse.

I could see some place like newegg offering novalty pet rocks that actually has a beagle board embedded inside it. You plug in your rock and you go to a website where your pet rock can go virtual and play with other online petrocks. You could make a birth certificate, have virtual pet rock clothes, play fetch with your pet rock, get points for winning a race against other pet rocks, and spend the points on furniture for your pet rock's playhouse.

Thanks.

Patent pending.

Imma be rich.

Awesome links!

Im stillk pleasantly surprised this thread has gone after I resurrected it!

I love that second one with the elegance only..love to see that in a few years from now :)

Archived