Top Shelf Aquatics

Film on water

Dnic

Hey everyone,

I know this topic has been repeated several times, but my question is a little different.

I bought a HOB skimmer, and the first week the top of the water was flawless. I wanted to swim in it.

Now it is only flawless in one side. I've tried changing up the flow with the powerheads, but I haven't had a big change. I don't want to blot my water with paper towels, or any of those other temporary fixes.

Any real solution to fix this problem? Should I have unidirectional flow away from the skimmer outtake?

This just bothers me so I would like to find a fix.

The clear side, as you can see, is on the right side of the tank and it is a circular area.

Unknown-6.jpg

2011-01-28_12-15-40_125.jpg

HecticDialectics

Either more surface agitation or a surface skimming overflow that feeds the skimmer

I see a sort of toothed overflow on the right. Is there any way to raise that more to the surface?

Either more surface agitation or a surface skimming overflow that feeds the skimmer

I see a sort of toothed overflow on the right. Is there any way to raise that more to the surface?

I actually think that would work well. Problem is the tube is too long, so i cannot slide the toothed-box around the intake upwards, unless i were to cut some of it off. That may be an option?

+1 to hectic

A good water change may help as well if you haven't done one in a while.

I just did one two days ago, maybe I should run carbon? I quit running carbon a month or two ago.

Skimmer...........

I have one, that's what the toothed-intake is.

Here is what my surface looks like, it is definately moving around. You just couldn't tell from under the waters surface

2011-01-28_14-33-54_421.jpg

HecticDialectics
I actually think that would work well. Problem is the tube is too long, so i cannot slide the toothed-box around the intake upwards, unless i were to cut some of it off. That may be an option?

Yup, cut the tube down till the overflow is sucking water in from the surface, it'll probably be where the water line is ~halfway up the teeth.

I'd start with 3/4 of the way up, i.e. 1/4 sticking out of the water first though just to make sure its getting enough water. Then move it up a little more if necessary.

Yup, cut the tube down till the overflow is sucking water in from the surface, it'll probably be where the water line is ~halfway up the teeth.

I'd start with 3/4 of the way up, i.e. 1/4 sticking out of the water first though just to make sure its getting enough water. Then move it up a little more if necessary.

+1

Once the overflow is taking water from the surface, you should notice a significant improvement.

...nothing takes the place of good surface skimming in a reef tank, IMO.

It's the best way from keeping floating particles from collecting on the top,

such as dust from the air, other debris and particles, gases, fatty acids

and oils and stuff from possible external food sources.

It also keeps your surface free to allow the most light to penetrate the water

and oxygen exchange to happen which is vital to a reef.

I look at surface skimming as a "pre-filter" to my skimmer.

Surface movement is important, say from power heads, but if your not skimming at a high rate,

your just moving the stuff around and eventually it will build up.

Archived