inTank Media Baskets

Marineland Reef capable LED lighting

Northern Enlighted

Northern Enlighted

Was looking into this light but I am a bit skeptical on Marineland as a solid product having owned a few of their items in the past. I am interested in the 24" - 36” - (23) 10,000K White & (4) 460 nm Blue 1W LEDs – 1670 Lumens. Does anyone here have any advice on this brand from firsthand knowledge in a reef? While I am not really nano, (60g 24x24x24 cube tank) LED's seem to be breaking into this size alot faster than your larger tanks.

I have SPS, LPS, and clams in the tank and was really looking into getting away from MH for heat reasons. This product is relatively inexpensive and looks like it well built. Anyone own one?

these are for freshwater plants and just to light up your tank so you can see things in it, Im pretty sure..If your talking about the ones on ebay for like 120ish$, then they will not grow corals..Could you post a link or pic of it so we can make sure..I dont think any of the marineland leds are for growing corals..

are you talking about these..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marineland-LED-Double-...=item2c5a338a0c

because they will not grow corals..

or these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marineland-Reef-Capabl...=item20b6c2478b

not sure about these, they say they can grow a reef but i wouldnt bet on it..An average cost for lower line leds costs around 300$ and thats do it yourself and you might have to rig a couple of things, anyhow you get what im trying to say..the more i look at it, i guess they can grow corals, im not big on leds, they havent been around long enough for someone to show me long term growth of ten plus years, also i have heard of sps browning out after people switched..i wouldnt put a crocea under those leds, with the corals your wanting i would look into a halide...but hopefully someone else will chime in and break it down..

gulfsurfer101

I wouldn't put my faith in one of those fixtures to keep anything other than some browned out mushies, I would look into a few other products before deciding on pulling the trigger on this being your main light scource.

lessergeneration

those fixtures honestly i dont think would work for much for than EASY LPS and softys. a buddy of mine was checkin out the par and they barely penetrade the water.

Northern Enlighted

No they dont list the PAR readings and that may be why... I dont think they are suitable for my setup. I was reading the wattage and while most reef LED's @ 12"-18" require 3 watts per LED for decent (comparible PAR's to MH). These Marineland models are only 1 watt led's... and thiers on 18 of them. That sucks to be honest and I'm surprised they didnt address this before they released it. I bet they will upgrade these models over the next year.

And yes I was considering the Reef ready light not the double bright. They look really nice and I like the expandable legs....BUT they dont look like they can handle SPS or LPS corals at all...

Northern Enlighted

Yeah did more research and most lights for a 20"x20" lightprint at 18" should be in the range of 3k lumens to adequatly grow hard corals. This whole setup which prints 18"x32" @ 18" is only putting out 1330 lumens. This clearly is not enough...AND I am surprised a long time company in the marine industry is telling it's customers this light is reef ready!?

Comparable lights of this size cost twice the amount of this one and now I know why. It has half the wattage/light power...

reefbuilders tested the par output on the reef leds and at just over 18 inches underwater it register's over 80. thats enough for nearly all lps corals and some low level sps like caps and birdsnest. a bit high for most mushrooms and other softy's with the exception being yuma's. its not far behind what a top shelf t5ho setup and about equal to what a good current fixture with good bulbs will do. more than a 70w halide and just behind a 150w halide. nothing wrong with that.

the drawback is that its so narrow and you will almost certonly need 2 fixtures to cover front to back.

if your looking at the singlebrites no they are not for corals. they are designed for fish only aquariums

MrBigShot, I agree with your post. I think it's easy to look only at the PAR levels and dismiss this light, but in reality, I think it is definitely worth another look at least in terms of what's more than just on paper. I would love to hear the actual experiences of other people with LPS and SPS and softies who have this light. While I don't have any SPS personally, I will see if there is a way I can switch out with a buddy for an SPS for a few months to see if it thrives. If it starts looking rough then he can have it back.

I have read somewhere that PAR is extremely important, but that PUR is also important. I'm not an expert on PUR or PAR but all I can say is that my mushrooms closer to the top of my tank are bleaching out already. My chalice on the bottom of the tank 18" down is starting to fade slightly. My acan frags, which were previously under compact fluorescent in my nano24 hardly came out at all -- all are now are open larger than quarters. My duncans are growing like wildfire. My bubble coral is larger than it has been in the last year. My favia are actually looking a bit bleached as well. All of these are on the bottom of the tank.

I'm beginning to think that there's more to this than just PAR and wattage...maybe there IS something to PUR....

• 3 weeks later...

PAR is the most important number a light puts out since it is responsible for photosynthesis. The new marineland fixture puts out slightly lower values than a t-5 double but worth it considering no bulb changes for 5 years or more, low power consumption, and shimmering effect. I personally would like to see marineland warranty the bulbs for that long.

my friend bought this light for his sump but lent it to me as a temp light as i was building my 3W cree LED fixture

lets put it this way, my fixture has 3 times the wattage compaired to this Marinelande Reef Bright light

its ok as a suppliment light...not good enough for coral....while i used it, i also had 2 coralife 15watt 50/50 bulbs....

some times i wish i had a PAR meter

PAR is the most important number a light puts out since it is responsible for photosynthesis. The new marineland fixture puts out slightly lower values than a t-5 double but worth it considering no bulb changes for 5 years or more, low power consumption, and shimmering effect. I personally would like to see marineland warranty the bulbs for that long.

By double T5 you mean an HO fixture, not a standard? If so, that's pretty reasonable. The the cost is pretty decent, especially for something off the shelf. Warranty is listed as 1yr on their website. I wonder if you will be able to R&R this fixture once the leds finally die, or if you have to chuck it and get a new one.

Archived