Coral Vue Hydros

New Tank Hitchhiker!

bmesa

hey guys! just got a new nano cube 12gal and set it up four days ago ... i was looking at my rocks and found a little plant like thingy underneath a rock. i have no idea what it is... hopefully someone can help me out.

thanx

oh and i know its the wrong area but my rocks have started to turn brown on the left side of my tank... almost like a brown dust.

post-64184-1296189380_thumb.jpg

post-64184-1296189395_thumb.jpg

post-64184-1296189591_thumb.jpg

post-64184-1296189684_thumb.jpg

What is living on the rock is a pest and the brown looking stuff is normal for a newly set up SW aquarium. Just give the tank some time and let the aquarium cycle for a couple weeks before putting any animals in there. The live rock will cycle the water for you. Don't use a fish that is cruel to the animal.

Since the 2 posts so far haven't actually told you what you're looking at..

1. Aiptasia - Small nem, generally considered a pest if they spread. I know more than a few tanks that have 1 or 2 in them and don't have any issues.

2. Diatomes. You should already know about those from your research, though.

Hey guys thanks for all the help... Im going to try and kill it, but i read that they aren't easy to kill. So im thinking to wait untill my cycle is over and put a peppermint shrimp and a cleanup crew. Hopefully that will take care of it.

Thanx again

carbon-mantis
Could be a Curlicue anemone?

The marking look similar, but generally they seem to have much longer tentacles than the anemone in the pic. I'd go with some subspecies of aiptasia.

Archived