Innovative Marine Aquariums

Feeding in addition to live mysid shrimp already living in the tank

awpong

This weekend I will be adding fish to my, currently fish-less, 10 gallon nano reef tank. My question is in regards to feeding. Presently, there are hundreds of little mysid shrimp scurrying around my tank and fuge. I was curious how this should affect how much food I feed the new fish. I plan on adding 1 bangaii cardinal this weekend, and 2 clowns a week or two after that. As I understand it, both of these species will feed upon live mysid shrimp.

I just don't want to feed these guys too much when they are already pigging out on the plethora of live food.

I had planned on feeding them a mixture of pellets, frozen mysid shrimp, and seaweed. Should I just reduce the amount I feed them? Are there any feeding rules/instructions for this?

PS: I also have a sea urchin and was planning on getting a blood red cleaner shrimp. I've never had a cleaner shrimp before and I was curious how to feed them. I know they should be fed freeze-dried or frozen mysid shrimp, but will they also feast upon the live mysid buffet? Additionally, if I need to add food specifically for them to feast upon, what is the easiest way to prevent the other fish from snatching it as it floats to the bottom of the tank, or before the shrimp even notices.

i might rethink 3 fish. you might be able to do 2 but probably stick with one fish.

the min size for a pair of clowns should be 20g or bigger.

I would say two fish is max in your tank and 1 would be ideal. If you are doing a pair try to find them an inch or smaller and probably oscellaris clownfish since they dont get big.

As far as feeding I would do mysid frozen and the seaweed or reef nutrition omega two frozen. Maybe add some dried stuff also.

I would feed every other day if I was you b/c those pods and shrimp will disappear when you introduce fish and you will see them here and there.

i might rethink 3 fish. you might be able to do 2 but probably stick with one fish.

the min size for a pair of clowns should be 20g or bigger.

I've already discussed this with a bunch of people (marine biologists, college professors, members on this site, and other "self proclaimed" experts), and we have come to a unanimous decision that it is do-able. I know it's not ideal, but I'm willing to experiment.

I will be monitoring the tank religiously, and am/will continue to preform weekly water changes of roughly 30%. In addition, my fuge allows for an increased total volume. If there are any signs of stress or unmanageable overstocking issues, I will not hesitate in reducing the bio load.

PS: If I can recall correctly, I believe the recommended tank for a pair of false perc clowns is ~10 gallons. However, it's something like 20g or 50g per pair.

PSS: All fish will be introduced to the tank when they are juveniles, ~1 inches in length. The overall plan for this tank is to donate it to my college when I graduate. I am a biology major and already practically living in the bio department. Once I graduate, I will set up a larger display tank in our department's entrance hall. The current inhabitants of this tank - coral, fish, and rocks included - will all be added to said display tank. By the time these fish are matured and reach full size, they will be in their luxurious display case.

It is do able but you have to keep up with water changes and filtration. Looks like you have a plan and I hope everything works out for ya, Good Luck!

Im only asking this because this is the beginners forum.

Are you sure they are mysid shrimp and not amphipods?

Amphipod

AMPHIPOD.jpg

Mysid

MYSID.jpg

10000% Positive. I have seen 1 or 2 Amphipods in my tank too, but the shrimp I'm referring to are mysids.

Archived