inTank Media Baskets

PAR 38 question

badpanda07

Ok im looking to do the led route on the cheap, I have heard great things on the Par 38 bulbs from evil. How many do you think I would need to light my 28g jbj comfortably? Looking at the plot chart it looks like I would only need 2, but that doesnt seem right to me. I know its been done before But I just cant find anything on it right now. If you have any pictures of a similar setup or links please post them.

I just ordered two for my bc29. I don't have them over the tank yet, but after playing with em a bit, I'm wishing I wouldve went with 3

I was kinda leaning towards 2, my game plan was start of with one of those 3 headed studio lamps and run 1 because I have nothing but one frogspawn in there. and then later down the road go with 2 and then always have the option for the third. In the longrun I will have almost as much as a 3.6 kit but its the initial investment that keeps me away.

Geez... I would go with 4 if you plan on keeping anything other than softies and LPS... They were disappointing IMHO.

If you want an LED fixture, look into ones like Illuminarium etc that have 30+ LEDs

There is no reason why you couldn't use 2 and keep all types of corals. You will just have some darker areas in the tank. If you go with 60 degree optics and have the bulbs semi close to the water surface you will be able to keep sps directly under the bulbs and softees on the outside. If you go with 2 bulbs you will just have to pay attention to where you place your corals.

Geez... I would go with 4 if you plan on keeping anything other than softies and LPS... They were disappointing IMHO.

If you want an LED fixture, look into ones like Illuminarium etc that have 30+ LEDs

4? Really? Have you seen my 40B? I have 4 of my PAR38s (older 15W versions) on that tank keeping anything I like. There is no good reason to have that many just to keep sps. Two will be enough to keep sps, and anything else. Like rflak mentioned, it may not cover 100%, but it doesn't have to. Three would be better for more even coverage, but not required.

Thanks for the input guys, I kinda thought 3 was over kill but the lamp im going to get would allow me to do 3 if I feel its necessary, Im kinda looking for that natural spotlight look. Im trying to stay away from the boost led ones, I heard they werent as good as some others.

One thing I was thinking about doing was taking the pc bulb out of my hood and then cutting that entire section out and building a housing so the bulb would sit vertical in there, then use stunner strips to help light it. Im still kicking this idea around though, havent seen anyone do this.

Thanks for the input guys, I kinda thought 3 was over kill but the lamp im going to get would allow me to do 3 if I feel its necessary, Im kinda looking for that natural spotlight look. Im trying to stay away from the boost led ones, I heard they werent as good as some others.

One thing I was thinking about doing was taking the pc bulb out of my hood and then cutting that entire section out and building a housing so the bulb would sit vertical in there, then use stunner strips to help light it. Im still kicking this idea around though, havent seen anyone do this.

So im not sure where you heard BOOST bulbs were "not as good" but i think that is an incorrect statement. obviously a par 38 will be brighter than a par 30 but each has its own application and price point . My opinion would be if you go 2 par38 bulbs you wont be disappointed but if you were to go 3 bulbs out the gate you could use either the par38 or par30 bulbs without issue. On either of these bulbs the most important aspect is to get the lens selection right 2 bulb configuration you want 60degree to get better spread 3 bulb 40degree for better depth as the spread is covered..... This is just my opinion

gulfsurfer101

I don't see why two with 60* optics wouldn't do the job. As far as boost goes I got nothing bad to say and mine seems to do the trick. Here's a pic of one boost par 30 over my 30g finnex.

halloween019.jpg

I was just messing around with the bulb waiting for my pico to arrive when I took this pic but you can see that the only dark spotting is around the edges of the rockwork. My tank is 24" long so in theory two would have given me the amount of light needed to light up the total lenght of my tank.

Whilst on my search to find a somewhat similar setup is where I heard about the boost ones. Im not trying to step on anyones toes, nor can I say they are bad I just HEARD/read. Im open to trying them but they will not be my first choice.

I cannot go with 3 right out of the gate so that will not happen. I was kinda shooting for the 2 leaving the option for the 3rd.

I also said I was going for that spotlight natural look. I was kinda hoping it would help acclimate corals as well, starting them out at the rim, slowly working them toward the center depending on their lighting needs and my viewing pleasure.

Hopefully soon Ill have at least one to play with so I can start getting some pictures up to show everyone. Also for those of you who have them,how do you run moonlights or anything like that?

sorry for any spelling mistakes that I missed this toughbook really hates to be typed on :angry:

Archived