SaltCritters.com

nano customs 3.6 led vs. 5.6 led

dylan1464

my second biocube that i had laying around is up and running it has the 4.36 power compact upgrade. i dont want power compacts due to i dont like the output they put out. i like the shimmering look of MH but dont wanna spend the extra money on a chiller plus running up the electricity bill lol. so i was wondering what is everyones opinion on the nano customs 3.6 led set and 5.6 led set up.

im looking into seeing what type of output the 3.6 and 5.6 kits put out. ive heard of corals bleaching on leds before so my next question is dimmers. will i need one or can i get away without one. ive looked at the instructions on the nano customs site and the install looks pretty easy.

this will be my first set up with led if i decide to go this route. ive only dealt with T5, MH, PC in the past so this led is really new and i dont wanna screw anything up or regret getting the kit.

thanks

All retros and fixtures from us will come dimmable right out of the box. No need to check options and what not.

The 5.6 kit is better suited for the larger BC29. It gets intensity up to more appropriate levels, offers more complete coverage, and will let you play with LED strip color options more.

if its dimmable i would go with the 3.6 for a bc 14. if not i would upgrade it if you can. i run my diy leds at 40%. i lost alot of zoas and palys starting hiher. learned my lesson. best upgrade i ever did

All retros and fixtures from us will come dimmable right out of the box. No need to check options and what not.

Is this a new thing? I got a 5.6 setup last summer and I didn't think it was dimmable. Is there a way I can check this?

Is this a new thing? I got a 5.6 setup last summer and I didn't think it was dimmable. Is there a way I can check this?

Its new; nanotuners is now using a dimmable drivers.

It could go either way, but the 3.6 is more than enough. Going with the 5.6 gives more options in color strips.

Thanks for the reply. So I am looking through the options. I am thinking a 5.6 setup for for my 12g nanocube so I have more options. I am looking for something similar to a 14k MH. So I am thinking 2 strips of blue and 3 white, does this make sense?

Also, not sure about LED driver type and emitter type.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any idea what the wait is on orders these days? I know you're upgrading the drivers.

Thanks for the reply. So I am looking through the options. I am thinking a 5.6 setup for for my 12g nanocube so I have more options. I am looking for something similar to a 14k MH. So I am thinking 2 strips of blue and 3 white, does this make sense?

Also, not sure about LED driver type and emitter type.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any idea what the wait is on orders these days? I know you're upgrading the drivers.

If you want to go with all solid color strips, I'd use 3 blue and two white. That will be closer to 14K with everything turned up. Don't worry about drivers, as they are all getting swapped over to dimmable TRP setups with the new machined driver box. As for LEDs, that's up to you. The Edison LEDs that we use as standard dump a lot of light into the tank already. The only downside is the configuration of colors. Working with just three strip combinations can be tough sometimes. Going Cree will help with that, as the ratio is 1:1, and arranged in a different way, helping with color blending. The Cree LEDs do have a slight bump in output too, but it's not going to be necessary in this setup.

Archived