Cultivated Reef

Rinse this sand?

Nathan06

you could rinse it if you want but i don't think it's necessary. i figure the tiniest particles are much like aragamilk (another product) and some of it would likely dissolve anyway. the cloudiness associated with sand introduction will always be present no matter how careful you are. (like getting foam on a beer :P )

now that doesn't mean you should let your livestock get covered with sand tho. they still need to be kept clean of such debris and detritus. hth

I too prefer to have some of the finer particles in my tank. I generally give a light rinse just to remove some possible contaminants and to waterlog the sand so tht it sinks a little faster.

If you ever have to add sand or gravel to a tank after it has livestock try using a clean section of 3/4" PVC pipe. Hold the pipe just above the bottome and pour the sand through the pipe. This allows for more accurate placement of the exta substrate and results in less milkiness. Of course in the wild corals etc. are constantly the subject of weather induced sandstorms and they deal with it just fine. I just don't like to make a mess if I don't need to.

Archived