Coral Vue Hydros

If its not broke, why do I want to fix it?

gutterguy

So my 40 has been set up for 2 months (transfered from a bc29) So far so good. No alge blooms except for a small cycle from the dry rock and sand. Running gfo and carbon in a brs reactor and have cheato, sand and a mangrove in the sump/fuge.

Everything seems to be growing and or thriving, so why do I still want to get into the vodka dosing, 2 part bionic, bio pellet craze.

If I do any of these which should I do. My stock is a mix of mostly zoas, and lps with a few sps.

Or should I just be happy with what im doing.

Thanks

gg

So my 40 has been set up for 2 months (transfered from a bc29) So far so good. No alge blooms except for a small cycle from the dry rock and sand. Running gfo and carbon in a brs reactor and have cheato, sand and a mangrove in the sump/fuge.

Everything seems to be growing and or thriving, so why do I still want to get into the vodka dosing, 2 part bionic, bio pellet craze.

If I do any of these which should I do. My stock is a mix of mostly zoas, and lps with a few sps.

Or should I just be happy with what im doing.

Thanks

gg

The ultimate goal is long term success. If you are keeping sps then calcium, alkalinity etc become critical.As long as you test for these and can control everything with water changes then cool. However, I think what you will find as your stony corals grow is that you won't be able to maintain these parameters without additives. If you can, with just water changes then fine just keep checking because calcium can be quickly depleted when your sps corals take off.In my sps predominant tank I dose the 2 part additives and still do AT LEAST a 10% water change per week. In my softy tank I don't need to , water changes do the trick. As far as the vodka thing, I've never seen the need and only dose what I absolutely need and can test for.

when i made my comment i was being slightly a smart ass. yes if you want to dose try it. just make sure you keep up your testing.

im dosing on my 40b to help the mini cycle be reduced when i transition everything over.

when i made my comment i was being slightly a smart ass.

I was laughing!! I have a bottle of smirnoff in the cupboard that I dont want to share.

Bioload, my tests stay pretty consistant at Mg 1250, Calcium 420, nirtates, ammo at 0, Ph stays 7.8 - 8 all with 5gal water changes every week to 10 days. I dont want an sps dominated tank but I do have a section of the tank that will have a variety.

I hear stories of bringing out the colors more, faster growth, etc

I guess I have it in my head that Im going to do something, I just dont know what yet

Thanks

gg

my thoughts are try it for few weeks. see if you notice anything and if not you can stop.

typically you don't see much until a week of dosing.

my thoughts are try it for few weeks. see if you notice anything and if not you can stop.

typically you don't see much until a week of dosing.

It only takes one night of vodka dosing to affect me.....but I'm sorry the next day.

I have definitely seen improvements in growth since I started dosing 2-part. I'm considering going with vodka dosing at some point but I'm not sure quite yet. The biopellets just seem like such a strange endeavor.

I dose 2 part daily and started vodka dosing. I was only feeding my fish every 3-4 days before vodka dosing and continued that feeding regimen once I began dosing. That was a mistake. If you don't feed your tank more when you begin dosing the colors in your SPS will begin to turn a pale pastel color, almost like Easter eggs.

What are you feeding your SPS? I feed LPS that have tenticles Mysis or blood worms weekly. What else should I add? Oyster Feast? Phyto?

What are you feeding your SPS? I feed LPS that have tenticles Mysis or blood worms weekly. What else should I add? Oyster Feast? Phyto?

I am not feeding my sps anything now. I have been looking at the Phyto food that my lfs has. I feed my whole tank Rods food about 4-5 times a week and about once a week or so I will target feed my acans

i used to feed oyster feast and corals loved it. but a buddy makes his own food and puts crazy stuff in there. its got coral chili in there and i just feed the whole take when i feed my fish.

so i dont really worry about feeding them, but weekly WC will help.

Archived