ReefCleaners.org

Vodka and gfo

nbavf6

Just wondering if I start siding vodka if I should stop using GFO in a reactor. Heard they contradict each other. Suggestions? Feedback? Anything would be appreciated

from what iv gathered on this forum, vodka gives the bacteria the carbon it needs to eat nitrates but bacteria needs a lil phosphates to eat nitrates as well, if there is no phosphates they cant get rid of nitrates. if your phosphates are really high keep using GFO if not the vodka will take care of it.

do you have a protein skimmer? or air stone? if you stop using GFO and there is a bacteria bloom it will use up all the O2 and fish will die.

from what iv gathered on this forum, vodka gives the bacteria the carbon it needs to eat nitrates but bacteria needs a lil phosphates to eat nitrates as well, if there is no phosphates they cant get rid of nitrates. if your phosphates are really high keep using GFO if not the vodka will take care of it.

do you have a protein skimmer? or air stone? if you stop using GFO and there is a bacteria bloom it will use up all the O2 and fish will die.

Im running a remora HOB skimmer with a MJ1200 on it but i cant get it to get a lot of skimmate. No matter what i do. It skims barely.... I have been dosing vodka for about 3 weeks. the tank has cleared up minimally and some cyno is growing. Then I got to reading that GFO might not let vodka work. So IDK. I can simply unplug the reactor for 3 or 4 days and monitor the results of just vodka, but then i dont want a bloom like your saying so idk. Anymore thoughts? any thought on how to get the skimmer to "bubble" more?

Archived